Chapter 19; Getting Over it

THERE'S 21 CHAPTERS IN THIS BOOK! We're almost done folks, then on to the second book. Many hints to how it will end will be sprinkled throughout the whole chapter; there will also be red herrings. Comment if you think you figured it out!

- THIRD PERSON POV -

Shuichi didn't know how or why Kokichi also had another nearly completely identical cottage in a forest 100+ miles away, but he didn't want to know. He actually had asked, and the response he got was,'Look, Saihara-Chan, I know a guy."

And apperantly this 'guy' was helping them get there 'safely'.
By that I mean through some sort of abandoned mineshaft.

Kokichi had been provided directions through the mineshaft, small campsites of people in similar situations along the way. It was a, both figurative and literal, underground society of people trying to save soulmates who needed another chance in the means of law. Many of these soulmates traveled with (according to the sign that was at the first campsite) 3 or more children. So there was more than enough room for Shuichi, Kokichi, and Mitsuko to fit in one area.

And because of this 'guy' that Kokichi knows, they wouldn't need to share a space with anyone else.

So they sat in a large tent together, 4 miles into the trip. Kokichi and Mitsuko were talking, joking, trying to keep the mood light. But Shuichi just sat. His knees up to his chest and arms wrapped around his legs.
The more he thought silently, the more and more that image stayed in his mind.

Kyoko's dead body, blood everywhere. He shot her.. that's murder.. Shuichi is a murderer...

He was snapped out of his thoughts by a yawn from Mitsuko and Kokichi saying,"Looks like it's time for bed!"

It felt like two minutes before the small girl was out like a light.

Now it was just Kokichi and Shuichi, the latter of course was still in the same position, staring off into space. Now Kokichi was worried.
"Hey.. Saihara-Chan? Are you okay? I'm getting worried.."
Kokichi moved closer, wrapping an arm around Shuichi's shoulder once he was next to him.
"I'm fine."
"Bullshit, tell me what's wrong."

Shuichi was silent for a moment, still looking off into space. "I just... Can't stop thinking about her.."
That was when Kokichi understood. He furrowed his eyebrows, moving so that he was directly in front of Shuichi. The bluenette still seemed slightly dazed, but with Kokichi in his field of vision, at least he could focus on something other than that image.

Kokichi moved close, cuppng Shuichi's face with his hands. "You did what you had to do to protect us. Not just you and me, but Mitsuko too," A kiss was placed on Shuichi's left cheek, then his right one, then his forehead, then his nose, and finally his lips, "You're the best thing I could ever ask for, and the most amazing thing that's ever happened to me.. We're gonna get through this. Together."
Tears pooled in Shuichi's eyes; tears that he desperately triet to hold back. But Kokichi stopped him.

"It's okay to cry, love.."

That was what sent him practically sobbing, trying his best to keep quiet with Mitsuko next to him, he held onto Kokichi tight. "I-It almost doesn't feel real.. I-I just want to wake up from this.. this n-nightmare..!"

The theif hushed Shuichi rubbing his back gently. "I know, hun, I know.. If only it were that easy.. But we're gonna get through this, and raise Mitsuko together, and grow old together, and we can live our peaceful lives.. You just need to get over it. I know it's hard and easier said than done, but I'm gonna help you, ok?"

Shuichi nodded, moving back and wiping his tears.
"Good.. Let's get some rest."