Chapter Two.

Rewritten 03.13.2023

By far, my favorite day of the year is the day where the Capitol lunatics decide that the annual killing spree of children is going to start, and is completely acceptable. July Fourth used to be an Independence Day, before Panem was our country. Personally, I think this day - Reaping Day - is the worst. I have six siblings, three older and three younger, making me smack dab in the middle. Just like last year, I'm on high stress mode. One of the main threats of President Snow; I will send one of your siblings into the Games.

The best advice I could possibly give to my younger siblings is to do well in training, but not great. I repeat this as much as I can to my younger siblings, as well as my eighteen year old brother. They think being a Victor is the best thing in the world; they see the house I get to live in, the money I have. They see the fame and fortune, but they don't see what goes on behind closed doors. I'm drowning in my pain and sorrow, each and every day.

My parents have seven children, ranging in age from ten years old to twenty-four years old. My mother is a stay at home mother, but practically a single mother. My father spends pretty much every second of every day at his job in The Nut. What goes on at The Nut is confidential, but I have my ways of figuring out the things that go on around this country. The Nut is a military base, complete with arsenals, bunkers, and computer terminals. It was an old gold mine, as District Two's main career focus is masonry. The mine itself hadn't been used in years, so after the First Rebellion, the Capitol moved its military focus from Thirteen to here in Two.

Usually, I distance myself from my family. They think it's the best thing that I'm a Victor, and they like to talk about it at every single second of every single day. I would like to forget it ever happened, but that's almost impossible.

I make it to the Town Square, taking my seat on the stage. In the audience, I spot my siblings, as well as all of my family in the back row. The only one missing is my eldest sister, Venus, who is twenty-four. She married a military commander from the Capitol, and was able to get special permission from President Snow to move to the Capitol. This was about five years before I won The Hunger Games, and I can almost guarantee that if it was after, Snow wouldn't have allowed it. She has two sons, Octavius and Albus, who will never be forced into The Hunger Games because they are Capitol children. Although, at two and four, they have quite a bit of time left.

My brother Juno sits in the citizen section, not being reaped because he's twenty-two. Juno is quite literally obsessed with The Hunger Games; he never volunteered, because there was someone always better than him. He's married, and followed in my father's footsteps with a job at The Nut. Him and his wife have two kids, Marcella and Portia, who are two and one. He would absolutely love if they became Victors, he would probably find it an honorable sacrifice if they were to die in the Games.

Augustus, my eighteen-year-old brother, has a sort of jealousy when it comes to me. He has also wanted to volunteer, but McGee has always told me that he wasn't good enough. For him, it was a slap in the face when I not only got to volunteer for the Games, but I also won. This is his last year of Reaping, which allowed me to breathe. Three more siblings to go until I could breathe.

Marcus is my fourteen-year-old brother, thankfully not as Capitol brainwashed as my other brothers. He's more worried about kissing girls and throwing his knives, and he actually takes my advice about the Training Center. He can throw knives better than he lets on, I'm actually extremely happy that he doesn't show the Training Center how good he is. Next is Caelia, who's twelve. That girl is absolutely terrified of her own shadow, and will never be considered for the Games. Last is Lucilia, at age ten, not even old enough to worry yet.

I don't really concern myself with what I wear, just throwing on the first thing my hands grab from the drawer. This really bugs my mother, who is all about fashion. We used to joke that she belonged in District Eight, but she got extremely offended, so that stopped quickly. Nobody is going to pay attention to me, anyway. Vibiana Dawe, our District's Escort, is very original with her outfits. The year I won, she wore a meat dress to the District Ten stop on the Victory Tour. That was made especially awkward when you factor in that I am the one who killed both of District Ten's tributes.

Brutus sits beside me, the two of us watching as Vibiana makes her way to the stage, wearing a dress that looks as if it's made out of gold. "I wonder if she knows how ridiculous she looks," Brutus scoffs, rolling his eyes as she makes her way to the microphone.

"She's more than likely one of the best dressed in the Capitol," I chuckle, watching as she begins her speech.

"Welcome, welcome," she starts, silence falling over the crowd. "Today is a big, big day. Two of your District's finest will have the honor, and the greatest privilege of representing your District in the 74th Hunger Games. Now, a video brought to you by Panem's very own President Snow." The same video that plays every year begins, describing why The Hunger Games is necessary and why the Capitol is so great.

"Now, let's introduce this year's mentors," Vibiana starts as soon as the video ends. "Ladies first, Victor of the 72nd Hunger Games, Marblyn Rivers. And Victor of the 47th Hunger Games, Brutus Nero." Everyone claps as an Avox pushes a silver cart with two bowls full of names on it. "Again, ladies first," Vibiana reaches her hand in the bowl, pulling out a single piece of paper. "Abilene Morrow," everyone looks around, trying to figure out who she is. I know her, she's twelve and one of Caelia's friends.

"I volunteer!" Clove steps into the clearing separating the boys and girls. Abilene lets out a barely noticeable sigh of relief, proving that not everyone wants to participate in the Games.

Vibiana ushers Clove on stage, introducing her to the crowd before repeating the process with the boys. "Augustus Rivers," my heart drops, and I can feel my breathing heavy. "Related to our very own Marblyn, are we?"

Augustus steps forward, a smirk on his face as he gets called to the stage. I think back to Cato, hoping that he doesn't show cowardice and actually volunteers. Augustus is about to step onto the stage, when I see a familiar blonde step out of the crowd.

"I volunteer as tribute!" Cato runs up on stage, completely ignoring the Peacekeepers and pushing past a now pissed Augustus.

"Another volunteer! What's your name?" Vibiana smiles brightly, more than likely excited about being the escort of a District with two volunteers. We're definitely going to be popular this year.

"Cato Hadley," he smiles at the crowd, and everyone cheers. Brainwashed.

"Ladies and gentleman, your District Two tributes! Cato Hadley and Clove Kentwell!" Let the Games begin.