Chapter Fifteen.

Rewritten 03.26.2023

Cato

I have never experienced tracker jacker's before. I had heard of them, word of many of the Capitol's mutations spread across District Two, as most of the people in Two are very avid fans of the Hunger Games. I, however, had changed my mind on the subject. I couldn't voice this to anyone, of course the Capitol would have my head. Or even worse, they would harm Marblyn - more than they already were.

The words Finnick Odair had said to me right before I launched into the arena have been plastered into my mind this entire time. I'm not sure how he - a District Four mentor - was able to get there, was able to send me off with a message. But somehow, he got the chance and I couldn't take my mind off of what he had told me.

"Cato," I'm surprised as the face of the District Four tribute, Finnick Odair, is waiting for me at my launch tube instead of the stylist like usual. Curious, I raise my eyebrows at the man, curious as to what he could possibly be doing with District Two. "I know you aren't this stupid."

"What did you just say?" I glare at him, wanting to strike. There are only a few minutes before I'm to enter the arena, I need to save my energy for the bloodbath at the Cornucopia.

Finnick rolls his eyes, crossing his arms as he leans against the wall across from me. "This? It's all a game. That's all it is, it's not an honor or a privilege, it's a game." I go to argue with him, tell him that becoming a Victor is the highest privilege, but I can't. I'm not so sure if I believe that anymore myself. "I know Marblyn tried to tell you, she tried to explain what really is so wrong with The Hunger Games. But I'm sure she was afraid to go into too much detail, afraid of what you'll think of her."

"What do you mean she was afraid?" I always looked up to Finnick Odair, he played one of the best games that I had ever seen. He felt pride for his victory, pride in winning. What changed that? He was the youngest Victor ever, until Marblyn came along and also won at fourteen.

"Snow uses her, Cato," he looks at me coldly, with an expressionless face. As if he's numb to his words. "Snow uses her, he uses me, he uses Cashmere, Gloss. He tried to use Johanna, but that backfired on him. She said no, her refusal did get her family killed though. Shot execution style on their way into the woods, covered up with some lie of stealing from the Capitol."

"Uses her?" At first, I don't understand what he means. All the victors are used, they have to come back every single year, watch the game over and over again. Then it hits me. Before the beginning of the Games, Marblyn would sometimes be gone all day. Brutus was often the only mentor available, leaving both Clove and I curious as to where she was going. We questioned, but never got a straight answer from anyone. Often, she would come back, I'd give her a hard time. Then she would say, "if only you knew what I had to do for those sponsors." Every time she was out all day like that, she'd spend hours in the shower, coming out with her skin red and raw, almost as if she had scrubbed it too hard. My eyes widen with the realization, and I look up at Finnick to confirm. "He prostitutes her?"

Finnick doesn't confirm or deny the statement, but he does take a step toward me. "Now, if you care about Marblyn, here's what I need you to do." I listen to his instructions closely, carefully, knowing I would do whatever it took to protect her.

After meeting with Finnick, I had been absolutely brutal in the bloodbath, taking my anger for the Capitol out on the kids in the arena. I was angry, extremely angry, mad about what Marblyn had to endure for two years. I wonder if she saw the flirting between Glimmer and I, and I wish I could tell her it was all fake. That's not a problem anymore, thankfully, as Katniss decided to take Glimmer out with those tracker jackers.