vi

06

E  P  I  S  K  E  Y

( eh - PIS - kee )

" heals minor injuries "

_______________

EARLY MONDAY MORNING Lyra finally awoke. The only light in the dreary hospital came from Madame Pomfrey's desk. The stars illuminated certain spots in the wing, bottles of potions on Lyra's bed-tray shimmered in the sunlight. Although, everything blurred at the edges since her glasses were no where to be found.

"Go back to sleep, Dearie." Madame Pomfrey called from her small desk with a smile. "I'll give you some more potions by nine."

"Thank you." Lyra said, her voice was raspy and barely audible.

Drifting back to sleep was an easy task for Lyra. After listening to her friends babble at her unconscious body, she was ready for a silent night. The past days made Lyra feel like a full body bind curse was holding her down. She couldn't even open her eyes, but she heard every word. The sound of Theo Nott sobbing will be permanently rattling in her brain.

By late morning, it was Cedric's turn to sit by Lyra during his free period. Cedric was slumped in the armchair at her bedside. He never noticed Lyra's eyes as she watched him.

Cedric admired the pile of presents, each wrapped in a different house colour. He had brought two presents wrapped in yellow and black from his parents, along with Lyra's favourite flowers. He was the only one who knew exactly which flowers she liked.

"Even a present from Draco Malfoy and the snakes." Cedric laughed in disbelief.

"So they should." Lyra rasped.

Cedric gasped in utter disbelief and leapt up from his seat. Lyra wheezed as he wrapped his arms around her. "Careful." She winced.

"Sorry." He said sheepishly, dropping back I to his seat. "You alright?"

"Wanna see?" Lyra smirked and gripped the hem of her jumper.

Cedric nodded tentatively as she pulled up the yellow jumper. Cedric let out a shocked exhale. Her once pale skin now a painful purple hue blending into a skin crawling blue. Specks of black swirled into a broken circle where the iron ball had collided with her.

Cedric has assumed the bruise would be a simple circle, the exact circumference of a bludger. The bruises extended around her torso. The purple and blue bled into greens and yellows that crawled across her ribs.

"Cracked two ribs and bruised a few organs." Lyra said nonchalantly. "Everything's fixed, but you'd think there would be a potion to heal bruises. Nope!"

Cedric was still silent. He couldn't formulate any words to describe how he felt. Luckily for him, Professor Snape and Dumbledore arrived before the silence became more painful that it already was.

"Nasty bruise, Miss Fairfax." Dumbledore observed, perching at the end of her hospital bed.

Lyra chuckled for mere seconds before her laughter became a riotous cough that took everyone by surprise. Madame Pomfrey shot from her seat but Lyra attempted to wave her away.