xvi

16

I M P E R V I U S

( im - PUR - vee - us )

" to make waterproof  "

_______________

LYRA HAD HER nose stuck in a book for the days after her near death experience. Her mind was preoccupied with the facts that filled the yellow stained pages, moulding theories and questions inside her head.

The book also had a name etched in cursive on the front page, Tom Marvolo Riddle 1942 - 1945.

She shut the book with a loud snap, hitting herself on the forehead with the dusty, grey cover. Lyra dropped gracelessly onto her bed. Her hair sprawled across the lemon yellow sheets like spikes of fire. She gazed at the ceiling, watching the stars she charmed to be their on her first day at Hogwarts.

The name had appeared three time now, always the same; just different years beside it. Her eyelids fluttered shut, her eyelashes tickled her under eyes. Memories flashed in the darkness.

Lyra was curled on her bed by candlelight, the girls in her dormitory were already asleep. The leather journal had practically jumped out at her when she browsed the Restricted Section.

Her conversations with 'Tom Riddle' had been far from exciting. However, her opening line peaked his interest greatly.

I did something today, I've been able to hiss and talk to snakes for ages now; but I wanted to watch myself do it. I opened something in the girl's bathroom when I hissed. Now everyone's screaming about the 'Chamber of Secrets'

There was no instant reply this time, usually his words would soak into the page quickly. A cloud of whispy grey smoke danced from the pages, taking the form of a young man in front of her.

He looked at be a fourth or fifth year Slytherin, he was rather attractive in a conventional way. His uniform seemed outdated and old compared to Lyra's new Hufflepuff robes.

"Right, well," Lyra dragged out, "That's a bit odd."

He raised his eyebrow, not even a ghost of a smile graced his lips. He was stoic, and held an air of authority.

"Only you can see me," He said in a smooth voice, "I don't have very long."

She didn't question it, after all, she was at a school for magic. "Right, okay. What are you doing here?"

"You've opened the Chamber of Secrets." He let the corners of his lips turn up, "Which means you're a parselmouth, like me."

Lyra let her mouth hang open in bewilderment as he walked towards her. She ran a hand through her hair roughly.

His eyebrow raised, "That's a nice ring."

"Oh," She looked down at her hand, waving it at him, "Family heirloom."

His outline began to fade, "You're mind is falling asleep." he walked back to the foot of her bed, "I'll be gone soon, you and me, we aren't so different, Lyra Fairfax."