ix

09

S T U P E F Y

( STEW - puh - fye )

" to render target unconscious "

_______________

THE AIR SOON grew colder as autumn began to fade away. Lyra had lost track of the days after they became repetitive and routine. She was still occasionally playing owl for Harry and Ron, who were yet to make up.

The first trial was approaching.

Lyra had taken little to no interest in the supposed dragons her friends would be battling. She was mortified, often finding her cheeks damp with tears, unbeknownst to her.

The week before the first trial, Lyra had opted to sit at the Gryffindor table — to the distaste of some particularly old fashioned students. Ginny and Lyra were too preoccupied with the topic of boys to notice the post arrive in front of them.

Lyra's heart sank to her stomach when she saw a red envelope, steam spraying from the edges. A howler. Lyra had never receive one herself, but she had witness many students be reprimanded by the paper throughout her time at Hogwarts.

The twins became particularly interested in the envelope and leant over the wooden table to get a closer look. Lyra's hands shook as she gripped the rattling letter in her hands.

"I'm keeping this quick and simple!" A familiar voice hissed. Her mother. Her face was ashen at the sound. Her eyes flitted to her uncle, who made quick strides to stand beside her.

"I bet you're wondering how I've sent you this thing. I asked you grandma! I wasn't going to spend the time writing you a letter. I want nothing to do with you, or your father." Her shrill voice caught the halls attention.

Lyra's lips quivered as she fought back the stinging tears that filled her eyes. Most of the professors' ears had perked when they saw the polite Hufflepuff open the howler.

"I'm just letting you know. I've remarried and you have two half-brothers." Lyra's heart swelled at the thought of siblings, but it was soon shattered, "We want nothing to do with vermin like you! I want you no where near my children. If I had my way you'd be burnt at the stake like they used to do with... your kind. You're a disgrace."

The howler exploded into blue flames, certain words on the paper remained unchanged by the fire.

The Great Hall was silent, with the odd students whispering quietly. Everyone watched Lyra carefully. She sat unmoved and at first glance she would seem unfazed, but her eyes had faded to red, her cheeks coated in salty tears.

With no emotion, she pushed herself from the Gryffindor bench and kept her head low. She heard the scrapes of wooden legs against the stone floor.

All of the Weasleys, along with Harry, Hermione, more fourth years and a small collection of Fred and George Weasley's friends stood up to comfort her. Lyra gazed over to the Hufflepuff table where Cedric, Hannah and Susan had successfully left the table of standing students.

Luna and Cho had begun to leave the Ravenclaw table too. Lastly, Lyra studied the Slytherin table. Blaise and Daphne looked blinded with rage after the Howler. Theo smiles sympathetically at her.