xiii

13

S  C  O  U  R  G  I  F  Y

( SKUR - ji - fy )

" to clean "

_______________

LYRA NEVER USUALLY receive owl mail, the folded parchment in front of her was the first new development of many that day. She had squeezed herself in between Harry and Ron who, once again, were not on speaking terms.

At least it's not a howler, that was the only plausible thought when Lyra reached for the parchment with quivering fingers. Harry's interest had peaked when he watched her internal struggle of unfolding the ominous letter.

The parchment smelt damp, like it had been left in a corner, forgotten, for far too long. It reminded her of an unsigned birthday present she received on her tenth birthday. A toy broomstick. Her father, James, seemed to know where it had come from, but had never told her.

Dear Lyra Lily,

I saw your name in the Prophet and decided it was time for me to introduce myself to you. The only pictures I have of you are fourteen years old. (I've put the picture in the envelope).

I was there when you were born, screamed like a banshee, you did. I even got to hold you for a while. Such a gorgeous little baby, I imagine you've grown into a fine young witch.

I'm assuming your father hasn't mentioned me, he works too hard! Nevertheless, i'd still wish to meet you, and your father says I can. As your Godfather (Yes, yes Godfather) I'd like to meet you, today?

Three Broomsticks 1 o'clock. Bring a friend if it would make you feel better.

Your godfather,

Uncle Sirius.

(Yes, I have made myself uncle).

Her eyes stung with fresh tears as she read the letter. She scoffed lightly in utter disbelief and caught Harry's attention.

"Everything alright?" He questioned, smiling at her.

"Positively mad." She grinned back, "Three Broomsticks at one. I have to meet someone and I'd like you there."

Harry nodded from behind his goblet of pumpkin juice, his green eyes sparkled.

Lyra had quickly lost her appetite, her stomach was too busy seeing how many knots it could tie. She deemed it excitement, possibly sheer terror, but her lunch had now become an afterthought.

She was snapped back to reality by Professor McGonagall's call for all students attending the Hogsmeade trip to gather at the Entrance Hall.

Harry watched whilst Lyra traced pattens on the frosted glass of the carriage window. She occasionally scratched her skirt vigorously before switching to folding and unfolding her black turtle neck.

Hermione had already told her to stop biting her nails, twice.

Harry gripped onto Lyra's hand, stopping it from scratching her black tights. She smiled fondly at him, her teeth peaked through her cherry glazed lips.