x

10

I M P E R I O

( im - PEER - ee - oh )

" to control "

_______________

AFTER LYRA'S UNEXPECTED outburst, older students — most likely prompted by Fred and George — came to congratulate her. Even Professor Moody had raved in front of his classes about how they should strive to have the mind of Lyra Fairfax.

Her next lesson of Defence Against the Dark Arts was much more enjoyable. Harry has grilled her as to why she stuck up for Malfoy, but he cracked a smile through his serious expression and hugged her tightly.

The tell tale sound of wood clanging against the floor announced Moody's arrival. He smiled down at Harry and Lyra as he passed their desk. Every student watched as his scrawled two words on the blackboard.

"Imperius Curse." He stated, bashing his cane against the floor. "Any objections to the use of this curse on yourself, speak up. Now." Everyone stayed silent.

Lyra smiled at his small change.

"It takes a witch or wizard of immense strength to ward of the Imperius Curse." He informed, sipping from his hip flask. "I'll go down the register and see if anyone can fight it off. You won't be harmed, don't worry."

Lyra's stomach turned with excitement and fear, she was younger than her classmates. She carried the pressure of showing she was good enough to be in fourth year classes.

She wrung her hands under the desk, her body became hotter as Professor Moody worked his way down the register. Lavender Brown was first.

Lavender jumped from desk to desk with harsh clunks, she landed on the floor with a graceful split jump and Moody let her go. Millicent Blustrode told the class about her undying love for Ron Weasley and promptly pretended she was a cat.

Vincent Crabbe waltzed around the classroom, angrily singing incoherent syllables. Everyone giggled at the students, each were unable to ward off the curse. Tracy Davis, a stodgy Slytherin who disliked Lyra, was made to dance an Irish jig — Seamus could barely contain his laughter.

Lyra had practiced this once before; her uncle had tried this with her in second year. Severus would teach Lyra advanced magic after curfew whenever they had chance — he saw just how in touch she was with her magic.

"Fairfax." Moody called as Tracy returned to her seat, red in the face, "Up you come."

Harry gave her an encouraging smile and squeezed her hand before she left the desk and walked to the front of the class. Moody gave her something of a smile with his scarred face. "Ready?"

Lyra nodded, clenching her fists. "Imperio."

A feeling of weightlessness washed over Lyra, her brain had cleared into a relaxing fog. She felt at peace with herself, any gnawing thoughts had trickled from her mind. She was only vaguely aware of the classroom full of students watching her.

"Squawk like a chicken." A voice said in the back of her head. Without thought, she opened her mouth, but before any sound came out, she questioned her actions.