xiv

14

L U M O S

( LOO - mos )

" to create light "

_______________

THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS came in a whirlwind of snow and excitement that hummed lazily in the air. The Great Hall was thriving with students from older years, and the occasional third year.

Daphne and Theo were connected, lips to jaw, at the Slytherin table over lunch. Her repressed giggles soon transformed into pleased hums, Theo dragged his lips across her neck; which became the final straw.

"Honestly you two." Lyra laughed, "If I wanted a show, I'd hang around Pug-face and Malfoy."

Blaise cackled at Parkinson's offended scowl. Lyra blew the girl a kiss, followed by a rude gesture, which went down well with Blaise and Theo.

Lyra pushed away her, still full, dinner plate and smiled at her friends. "Who's up for a snowball fight? I feel like throwing things at you lot today."

The small group of four scrambled away from the Slytherin table, followed closely by Malfoy.

The snow gave a satisfying crunch with each running step they took. Daphne and Lyra ran the furthest. Lyra's hair billowed behind her in waves of ginger and honey from the silver sun. A harmonious laugh escaped her rosy lips when she narrowly missed a snowball.

"Girls against boy!" Daphne shouted, hitting Blaise square in the face.

Lyra began to pummel the two boys, not bothering to see who she hit — just as long as she was winning. Blaise threw a rather large and extremely hard looking snowball at Lyra's shoulder, which turned out to be almost pure ice.

She rolled a pristine snowball, collecting the cleanest flakes she could. She flicked her hawthorn wand, sending the ball of white toward the back of Malfoy's head, dampening her blonde hair.

"Come on, Malfoy!" Lyra shouted, bringing her hands towards her eyes like that of a bawling baby, "Scared, Malfoy?"

"You wish!" He hissed.

Daphne, Theo and Blaise has long forgotten their match when Draco launched towards Lyra with a fist full of snow, dotted with mud and sludge.

The formidable sounds of frost-laced grass crunching under foot made Lyra shriek. His footfalls were coming closer and closer.

The sphere of sludge landed at the base of her neck, leaving an icy wet trail as it slid down her back and underneath her Hufflepuff robe. Her back folded in on itself, her neck disappeared into her shoulders.

Malfoy's taunting laugh was directly behind her, an even so familiar sound.

Draco's guard wasn't down when Lyra launched herself at him, knocking them both onto the cushioned ground with a myriad of groans.

Blaise was the first to see Lyra sat on Draco's chest, dropping a large pile of snow on his screwed up face. Theo arrived close behind with a smirk present of his face.