xv

15

A  S  C  E  N  D  I  O

( ah - SEN - dee - oh )

" to lift caster "

_______________

JANUARY BLUES HAD invaded the school in the form of returning students after the Christmas Holidays. Valentine's had been and gone in a whirl of homework and Library sessions with Harry.

Lyra was hunched over a Herbology text book, rereading the same page over and over through bleary eyes. Her head lolled forwards occasionally, bringing her back to reality with a sharp jerk. Her hair was knotted into a bun with her wand.

"Tell me again, Harry." Hermione ordered, pacing the small isle of the library.

"I've told you already," He sighed, "Come seek us where our voices sound."

Lyra packed away the books sprawled out in front of her and bid goodnight to Harry and Hermione. She slipped out of view when they dropped their heads towards their respective books.

The Restricted Section was on of Lyra's favourite places. Magic hummed thickly in the air, radiating from inside the printed and worn pages. It smelt just like Lyra always through Dark Magic would smell. Leather and black tea, a faint trace of the DADA classroom after the Unforgivables.

Most of the books, Lyra had already read. In her mind, ignoring a whole branch of magic was a fickle way to live, even if it was The Dark Arts.

Tucked away between the pages of old diarys, worn by years of neglect and poor treatment; was where Lyra found Tom Riddle's diary in her first year at Hogwarts.

Her pale finger traced the spines of books delicately, the occasional jolt of magic surged through her arm. A seemingly untouched, leather-bound book drew her eye.

The magic ripples off the cover, prickling against her skin. The Origins of the Dark Arts. The first page had already been written in. A neat black inked name was etched into the paper, along with a date.

Tom Marvolo Riddle 1942

"Shocker." She muttered to herself sarcastically.

A familiar thunking of wood against the stone floor was advancing towards Lyra quickly. She slammed the cover shut, sliding it back into place. She pulled on the book next to it, a once rich green faded to a lingering grey. It was thinner than the previous book; it didn't peak her interest.

"Fairfax," Moody appeared at the head of the isle, "This is the restricted section."

She stumbled over her words, "I-I know, Professor, I just really wanted to read this book."

She waved the small greying book at Professor Moody, the golden title shone brightly at him. Her legs shook as she walked toward him.

"Yes, Salazar Slytherin, His Descendants and their lives'." Lyra resisted the urge to scowl at the book cover.

"Very well," He ushered her towards Hermione, who look beyond confused, "McGonagall wants you in her office. I'll put your book with Severus, Fairfax."

Lyra tripped over her own foot, sending herself into a comedic walk as she regain her balance, "McGonagall's office is near my common room, I'll just nip in and drop it off."

_______________

Cedric never saw Lyra in the common room that morning. She didn't show up for breakfast either. The Professors seemed to have a secretive knowledge of where both Hermione and Lyra were during their Defence Against The Dark Arts Lesson.