xxi

21

S  E  C  T  U  M  S  E  M  P  R  A

( sec - TUM - semp - ra )

" to lacerate "

_______________

LYRA HIT THE ground harshly, landing beside a silver trophy which emitted a familiar blue light around the rim. It was definitely not an office.

The grass beneath her was wet and slippery, leaving green stains on Cedric's quidditch jumper he had gifted her. The air was crisp and unwelcoming. She could smell the unforgivable in the air surrounding her.

Her eyes flickered up, looking across the horizon in front of her. Tombstones littered the ground, broken and unloved. Lyra had seen a picture of this place before, Little Hangleton cemetery.

She pushed herself up, resting on her hands. The mist swirled tauntingly in the air, carrying the skin crawling stench of death. She glanced to her left. Her arms crumbled beneath her.

Cedric's body lay lifeless in a state of preemptive shock.

She scrambled to her feet, only to drop onto her knees beside him. Her breathing was erratic, searing tears burned a path down her pale cheeks. Lyra curled her fists into his shirt and dropped her head against his chest.

She could hear voices in the direction behind her, but they all became blurred and distant when she looked at Cedric. Through a misty haze of tears, she closed his eyelids, praying for him to find peace.

A loud sob escaped her lips.

"Ah! Wormtail!" A voice hissed in the distance, "Our second guest has finally arrived, bring her."

Lyra kissed Cedric's forehead, "I love you."

She tripped over her feet as she stood, a small man appeared from the fog. Wormtail. His hair was matted and missing in certain places, worry lines deepened his beady eyes.

His hand curled around her wrist, digging in his sharp fingernails. He tugged Lyra forcefully, guiding her into the smog. She used her free hand to reach for the pocket of her jeans, feeling for her dragon heartstring wand.

She pressed the tip into the side of his neck forcefully, eliciting a grunt; followed by frightened whimpers.

"I know who you are, Scabbers," Lyra whispered with venom, "Now get moving."

He released her wrist and shuffled forwards, her wand never left his neck. A green light was resonating from his exposed skin, the colour of the killing curse. She gasped softly.

Through the fog, she could see a row of masked people, standing beside one another. They were unmistakable to any witch or wizard. Death Eaters.

She could feel his presence, it was more terrifying than the first time. Her breath was shallow and audible, Wormtail stopped. Lyra didn't dare look in his direction.

"This is where I'm needed?" She asked the cowering man, he nodded vigorously, looking around for anyone to help him.

"Good." Lyra said, more so to herself than him.