CHAPTER 22

“Girl what’s taking so long?”
Shuffling into the red silk bodycon one strap dress Maya lent me since we’re almost of the same stature, “I’m almost done!”

It’s a good thing I don’t do makeup, I refuse to be tortured with hours of feeling like a baked good.

Almost tripping over my own feet, I stumble out the dresser and into the dorm room I was expected to stay. I wasn’t letting myself get comfortable with these… ‘people’ just yet.

I’d head to Aunt Meg’s first thing tomorrow but for now I guess we’re really doing this, party with a bunch of supernaturals that could be thinking of doing just about anything to us. Breath Gaby

“About damn time” Picking up her phone since she had no purse and couldn’t push it by asking for a purse since we barely had any clothes and had to lend from our roommates’ throughout the week. I know, at least Maya has good hygiene, Andrea is still getting there.

We learnt earlier this week that we were at least allowed to visit Amadeus once in a while but are not allowed out unless during the weekends. Good thing my stomach was the only part of me that was hurt.

Strutting to the school doors trying to act normal in m- Andrea’s crop top and blue jeans
“Hey! Where are you heading to?” the bald skinny security guard headed towards me.

“Oh I’m heading home, lectures are done and I’m hungry so couldn’t wait for homeroom”

He lifted a brow, giving a missing middle tooth smile, “Oh really?”

I nod feeling creeped out already, all I ever had to do was explain, “And you don’t happen to know about N.S.N by chance do you?”

I remember those letter clearly, they got me in this mess I am in right now, a shiver runs through my bones just thinking back to how it all started, “No, am I supposed to?”

I am sure I sounded convincing enough but something in my voice must have given me away, maybe the shaky way I let out a breath after he smiles that same creepy smile or my twitching fingers or might have been my barely blinking eyes.

“Let’s not stress this out more than necessary, head back inside, you can go wherever you want during the weekends” How did he- forget that, It’s now or never. Sprinting as fast as my legs would carry me away from him with the school gate in my sight. Not looking back, the mercilessly bright sun beating down on me and blurring my vision. He was old but he knew I was one of them; I’m not taking any chances.

I felt like I was running to the light. I was just two steps away from the gate when I feel a pair of hands that felt stronger than that of an old man’s should, on my ankles.

Oof! It was just a minor sting till I feel the pain spread making me clutch my stomach.

“What the fuck man?!” I hiss, my face still in the sand making it sound like I was mumbling.

He scoffed lifting me up, “Get your grimy hands off me! Was that really needed?”

“Without manners too I see, kids these days. Now if you don’t mind, inside please”

“I can’t waste my manner on someone like you. This is going to leave a bruise! What if this pavement had already been worked on I would be in the hospital!”

“Good, that would remind you not to try running from Hermes especially when I didn’t try to hurt you and gave a simple doable instruction.” Her- no

“Gaby! I swear I would leave you”

“Huh? What?”

“You were gazing at the wall and just standing like… well, like that.” she says pointing to my still position.