「Challenge」

『Yuuki's POV』

   "Fight me,"said a tall athletic looking girl. Her eyes showed her seriousness. Around her was an intimidating aura.

   "Why?...."I asked. 

   "Because I, Mao Nakamura,challenge you, Yuuki Kurosaki! I saw you at regionals. Your team was the first ever to actually tie with the all-time champions!"She said.

  "Okay...then how are we going to do this?"I asked.

   "Well I had already asked Coach Arai for staff supervision, so he's waiting in the gym,"she said.

   "Okay kids, the rules are no killing, no use of weapons. The objective is to have the opponent surrender. That's pretty much it.......The battle starts........ NOW!"

   She grunted as her fist flew towards my face. I quickly dodge, and attempt to punch her, but she stops my punch with her hand. As she held my fist, she threw a punch towards my stomach and I dodge. Barely dodging dodging with a abrupt jump back which looked stupid. Suddenly, I thought of something. I placed my other free hand on her arm. She looked at me confused, I focused my strength and flipped her onto the floor freeing my other arm. I stood there seeing if she was going to give up. She slowly rose up and said,"That was..a good one.'cough."

   She suddenly threw a punch and it hit me in the stomach. I flew across the room and smashed against the mat cushioned wall. My vision filled with white and black dots.

   "Surrender yourself,"she said. I stood up and said,"Nope." I ran up to her and threw punches. We kept exchanging punches and dodging. I didn't want to fight this stranger, but the fight slowly lit up my urge to win. Not one of us wanted to be defeated. My energy was being used up, but I noticed hers was too. Our punches became sloppy and were becoming too lazy. The punches weren't even close to their target. I aimed a punch to counter her attack, but suddenly both of us collapsed from exhaustion. "Is it...a...tie?"I asked Mao."....Yeah..". There was an akward moment of silence...then suddenly both us busted out laughing.

     Finally when the laughing seized Mao said,"Ya' know, my class is right next to yours. So do you want to eat lunch with me? You can bring a friend of you like."

   I smile and say,"Sure, where do you want to eat?"

    "I eat on the rooftop,"she said."I don't have any friends. They're scared of me because I'm taller, so to them I'm intimidating."

     I look at her and say,"Yeah, if I didn't talk to you then I would think you were intimidating." We became quiet and bursted out laughing again."Yeah,"she said between the laughter. She's the second friend I made at this school.

   During lunch break, I walked to the classroom next door with Tatsuya. Inside, Mao was sitting in the back alone.

    "Mao,"I called and waved.

     She quickly whipped her head up and her face lit up. She quickly walked towards me.

    "I didn't really think you would come!"she said,"Let's go to the rooftop!"

   The rooftop was bigger than I expected. It had a nice view. The pool on the right, the track on the left, and in front was a huge cherry blossom tree. For a few days we enjoyed a peaceful lunch break.

   "Hey Yuuki! Guess what?!" Mao said excitedly. I smile and answer,"What?" "I made a new friend and she'll be eating lunch with us from now on!" I feel so relieved and glad Mao made a friend.

    During lunch break, I waited on the rooftop with Tatsuya. Mao opened the door excitedly and behind her was a short girl. She looked adorable. Her hair reminded me of cotton candy and her doll eye like eyes added to her cuteness.