Chapter 63

Danny's POV

Okay. Okay. Okay. Alright.

Why the fuck am I nervous about seeing someone that I have known literally over half my life and introducing him to my best friends?

Um. Maybe because he's been acting all weird and trying to drag you home like a caveman ever since he got out of prison?

Right, but surely he'll come here and see that I'm happy and decide that I'm better off here and then leave me with his well-wishes.

Yeah, you're an idiot. You know the man.

Don't call me names! You don't know me!

I fucking am you.

I need a drink.

That's probably not going to help this time.

I swear to fuck if you don't leave me alone...

What are you gonna do? Kick your own ass?

Fuck. Fuck this shit. Fuck. This is why people drink all day.

I already told you, that's not gonna help this time...

Leave me the fuck alone, I swear to fuck I'll have a nervous breakdown and bring you down with me.

... ... ...

Finally. Okay. Okay. Okay. Alright.

I literally just said that.

That's it. Shots it is.

~~~

"Are you drunk? It's, like, ten in the morning." Joshua's voice interrupts my drunken dance lesson as I practice to YouTube in front of his fancy giant tv.

He looks like he just woke up, standing at the end of the hallway wearing only shorts with his hair sticking up all over the place and his muscles standing out in all their glory, making my drunken self want to touch them.

"I- hic- I am fine. This is fucking yoga therapy... to destress my... fucking head."

"That... looks like rumba..."

"Right, whatever... I'll be the next Shakira and then what?"

"I... hey, how about some pancakes?"

"Dude. I fucking love pancakes!"

"I know, Princess. Just... sit down, or rumba or yoga or whatever and I'll have them ready in a couple minutes."

"No, seriously, Joshua, you are the fucking greatest, dude. My fucking pal. You're my hero."

"Yeah, okay... hey, what time did you start drinking?" He asks, seemingly uninterested as he inspects the nearly empty bottle of Evan Williams and numerous empty beer bottles.

"I... think I woke up at six and I couldn't get back to sleep..."

"Yeah? What time is your friend gonna be in town?"

"Probably around 8 or 8:30 tonight... he said... I don't know... he's usually late a lot."

"You pretty excited for that?" He asks over the sound of pots and pans clanking together and dishes being set on the counter.

"I'm... so fucking excited."

"Good. You know, Danika, if you're worried about something, I'm here for you."

"Cuz you're my fucking pal..."

"Yeah..." he says softly.

~~~