Ch 7: The Light in My Darkness

Nobody's POV

It has been 4 hours since Izuku and his dad arrived at the hospital. The doctor that attended his unconscious father had taken many tests, but it was rather hard to do so because Hisashi hadn't awakened. He would only wake up once more.

Izuku was well into slumber, with his head resting on the back of the chair he was sitting on. His mother had arrived at the hospital, tears gushing out of her eyes, and she was frantically waiting for the doctor to come back. It was so hard to look at her husband hooked up to a machine that regulated his breathing. The bleeding had stopped, but why was he bleeding in the first place? Inko couldn't really grasp what had happened to her husband. Was it blacklash from his quirk? It was fire breathing after all, which could damage your lungs... but it was so sudden, so it had to be something else. If it was his quirk, then she would know since he would get gradually worse the more he used it. Inko pondered on these thoughts as the doctor walked in.

"Hello Mrs. Midoriya, I've come back with the results of your husband's tests. You... might want to brace yourself for this. Your husband's condition is grave."

Inko's head dropped as her green hair shadowed her face. She had no more tears to drop, she was too tired to cry.

"Your husband is suffering from stage 4 lung cancer... and it seems like a tumor in his right lung abnormally grew over the past few weeks, and that's what caused the bleeding. Your husband's lungs have severely weakened, to the point where I don't think the proper functions would take place so he could take in oxygen. His right lung has completely collapsed, and his left is very close to collapsing as well. Right now, a machine is doing the breathing process, and helping obtain oxygen, but once the machine is turned off, I'm terribly sorry to say, but he'll most likely pass away from lack of oxygen. His lungs are beyond repair, even for our healing quirks."

Inko knew that something like this was going to happen. She knew that there was a high probability her husband could die. She tried to prepare herself for it, and tried to stay strong... but when the doctor confirmed her worst fears... she just couldn't handle it anymore. She felt as if a piece of her was gone, and emptiness swallowed her. What would she tell her son, the only person from her immediately family left since both of her parents were gone, and she barely knew her in-laws. Izuku would be all that she had left, which made the burden of keeping him safe even higher. She could lose her Izuku too, and be left with nothing... nothing left to fight for, nothing left to live for. She was silently weeping as the doctor decided to leave and give her some time to herself. She heard Izuku stirring as the doctor closed the door, and she quickly wiped her face so he wouldn't see her like this.

Izuku opened his eyes, rubbing them as he looked around the room. His face felt sticky from the tears he shed, and he decided to go to the bathroom to it off. He looked over at his mom, who gave him a tearful forced smile as he walked towards the bathroom door. Izuku went up to the mirror and looked at his reflection in it.

'Same old plain faced huh...' He thought as he stared into the soul of his reflection, completely forgetting about his dying father for a moment. He was hoping it was all a horrible nightmare, but of course, he didn't wake up from his joke of a life. 'What if I was born without this power... how different would life be?' he thought. It wasn't his fault that his dad was on his deathbed, but all he could do was believe that it was. His power was the reason why he got into so many messy situations, ones that a kid shouldn't be in. 'Maybe being a hero wasn't the route I should've taken...' Izuku's mind suddenly flashed to that day he had helped Kendo, and knocked that Monoma guy out. 'What if I didn't help her... my dad could've been alive and well right now if I hadn't gotten arrested...' Izuku knew deep down, that what he did was right. Nothing would change the fact that he would've helped her regardless of whether his dad lived or not. His hero conscious just wouldn't allow it to happen. Even though he didn't know why his dad suddenly got that sick, it would've happened regardless of the events that had played out. Once fate is determined, nothing can change it.