♡Max Verstappen. McLaren in the Orange Army (secret lover back story)

"Yes y/f/n. Yes I DID! I decided I want to go to my favourite Grand Prix race on the calendar as a fan." I tell my friend y/f/n over the phone. She squeals with joy.

I am going to the Austrian Grand Prix as a fan. I am currently doing an mechanical engineering internship with McLaren, and I usually spend the races with the engineers in the McLaren team. I am able to take a race or two off, and this is the one I chose. I love this race.

When I first visited Austria, the Red Bull Ring was amongst the list of places I visited. I came with my all time best friend who is basically my sister and would be my soulmate if I was gay, and we climbed the massive bull statue at the ring.

(The picture is an Alpha Tauri Instagram post from the early 2020 season)

*on race day*

I am in the Orange Army. I could be watching from the McLaren garage like I usually do for my engineering internship program, but I want to be a fan for once.  I bought grand stand tickets and came in my McLaren hat. I love that hat. I didnt really realize that I bought tickets around the Orange Army, but my hat added to it.

After the race, I go down to the pit lane to get to the McLaren hospitality suite and then go with the engineer I'm doing the internship with. I technically took this race as my off race, so I dont even need to go back to the engineer, but I actually really enjoy all the thinking involved and the engineer, who is also like my best friend, said I could come to meet him in the 30 min after any race at a specific table in the suite. He said he would be near by and would take me to the garage and to the other engineers regardless of the race or if I was still an intern or not.
I pass the Mercedes suite and the Ferrari suite.  I wuicly pull out my phone to tell my friend I'm on my way. I bump into someone as I pass the Red Bull suite. I look up.
Max Verstappen.
OH MY GOSH HOW WAS I SO STUPID!?!?

"I am so sorry  are you alright? I was on my way to the McLaren suite and I wasn't paying attention. I'm so sorry. " I ramble on speaking super fast as I start picking up my papers as I am sitting on the floor where I fell. I am in heels. Probably not the best choice of footwear, but I knew I would be going with my engineer friend and I love wearing a good outfit that makes me feel smart.

Max extends his hand to help me up and says "no problem. No worries at all. Takes more than a running into to shake a world class driver." He smiled.

I take his hand and stand up. I dust myself off and take the remainder of the papers I dropped from Max who picked them up. He smiles at me and shakes my hand.

"Nice meeting you Y/N Y/L/N. Good luck with your internship program. Maybe one day you will work for Red Bull and I can see you more often." He smiled. I was shocked.  How did he know this? "Your papers." He said, reading my mind. He tapped the top of one of the pages. It said all that. My name and my internship information and status. He pulled his other hand, the one he was shaking, from mine. I felt something in my hand. A paper. With his number.

_______
A/N
This one shot is kind of a prequel to the one that will come next. It is kind of a back story to the request by AshleyDorina. Ashley, sorry I still havent published yours. It is coming right now though!