Chapter 5

Holding a dish half filled by brownies and half filled with banana bread, i entered the elevator. There was another man who followed in after me and i thanked god. I was a little bit afraid of elevators but as long as there was someone with me I'd be fine.

"Which floor?" The man in the grey suit asked.

"8th." I said, remembering the receptionist downstairs telling me that Mr Mulligan's office is on the 8th floor. So he works in this huge building and has an office, and here i am with banana bread.

"You're a client?" The man asked.

"What?" I said, then realized this was a law firm. "No."

"Oh. Okay. It's just you don't look like you work here." He said.

I smiled, embarrassed. "Is it that obvious?"

"Yes, Richard would never approve one of the receptionists to wear that outfit."

I looked down at my outfit. It wasn't that bad. I was wearing my blue jeans with black boots and a white t-shirt. On top of that i was wearing a blue coat. I thought i looked fine, but apparently not.

"Then who are you?" He asked, his tone accusing.

What does he think that I'm a bomber or something? "I'm here to see a friend."

"Oh." He said. "I'm sorry. It's just i had a bad meeting today."

I mumbled a hmm and waited for the 8th floor to arrive.

"I'm Jerry, by the way." He said. "As an apology, i would be happy to guide you where you want to go."

"No, I'm fine. Thank you, though." I said.

"Alright then see you around i guess." He said when the doors opened to the 8th floor.

"Sure." I said and stepped out.

The elevator's door closed behind me and suddenly i was in a world of suits and ties. This place was so strictly business professional that everyone and i mean everyone was wearing a suit.

There were many assistants desks so, I decided to go to the first one i saw.

"Hi, I wanted to see Terrence Mulligan." I said to the woman behind the desk.

She was signing some papers and didn't look up to see me. "The office in the corner is his. His assistant is right beside him." She said pointing to the corner office.

So he worked in this huge building and literally had the corner office on its top floor. He must be one big deal. I walked to the desk in front of the corner office. There was another woman in a black pant suit there.

"Hi I'm here to see Terrence Mulligan." I said.

This one was arranging some papers but she looked up to see me. "Honey, we all want to see Terrence Mulligan but do you have an appointment?" She asked.

I bit my lip. "I tried to call but he wasn't picking up."

She chuckled. "Story of my life, honey. We dated for 2 months and he doesn't answer my after-work calls."

I told her the same thing Annie says. "Men are dogs."

"They sure are." She said. "It's not even that he doesn't answer my work calls, it's more that he pretended like nothing ever happened between us, you know?"

"Hey you don't have to tell me," I said. "My husband of 3 years decided to just leave one day and his explanation was that he wanted to follow his dreams. It's funny because in his vows, he said that i was his dream."