Chapter 12

"you are filthy rich!" I screamed as the countless articles I had read about him in the last hour flashed in front of my eyes. "I mean like filthy filthy rich!"

Terry rolled his eyes at me and took out his phone because it buzzed. He was leaning on his car while I walked back and forth on the sidewalk in front of my parents house.

"I thought you were middle class rich like my parents. But no. You're Mark Zuckerberg rich." I said, walking back and forth. "Your family owns the Wry Arilines and the Mulligan's estates. I mean you're number 4 on the top billionaires under 30. And your family owns an island. A whole damn island in the Pacific!" I said, freaking out.

I can't believe i have been hanging out with a billionaire and didn't have a clue. Whyy didn't i google him the second he told me his name? Why am i so stupid?

"You're exaggerating." He said again rolling his eyes.

"I mean you might as well be neighbors with bill gates." I said.

He chuckled then thought about it. "Actually our vacation home in Italy is right across the street from bill gates'"

My eyes widened again. "And you think I'm exaggerating?!"

"Yes." He said.

"You're neighbors with the freakin richest man on earth!" I said stoping mid way my panic walking and giving him my 'are you kidding me look.' i sighed. "Okay maybe i am over-reacting but why didn't you tell me?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. It just never came up."

I stared at him, trying to figure him out.

"What?"  He asked with an amused look in his eyes.

"You're busy with your job all the time. Even now you're phone is buzzing like crazy. You clearly have somewhere to be. But" I said, licking my lips. "But if you're filthy rich, why are working so hard at your job. I mean, I checked. The firm you work at isn't your family's. Then why work there? Why work so hard when you can be on your island vacationing all day long?"

As soon as I asked that, the smile dropped from his face and he looked away from me.

O God, did I say something wrong. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-" i said but he cut me off.

"Because it's not my money." He said, still not looking at me but at the cars passing by. "It's my family's money. It always has been."

I didn't know what to say. I clearly hit a nerve there by asking that question. The goofy Terry is gone and this serious Terry looks so depressed and angry. I didn't like it. I wanted to hug him.

"Money's overrated, Helena." He said and finally looked at me. "And I'm sorry i didn't tell you. If i did, you would've treated me differently."

I shook my head. "No, I'm not my sister. I'm not a gold digger, Terry. I would've treated you the same way."

He smiled at that. It was a sad smile. "Sure." He said. "Anyways, can we please go to the party now?"

"Hey," i said and put a hand on his arm but it felt weird so i took it back. "I'm sorry for reacting like that and I promise I won't treat you differently." I said.

He gave a second sad smile before wrapping his big strong arms around me and hugging me. I snuggled into his hard toned chest which radiated a very comforting warmth. Why did this feel so right? It almost feels like home to me.

Wait- What? My mind shot back at me. I used to call Dex's hug home.

Freaking out a little about the thoughts in my head, i decided to take a step back. Well I tried to. His strong, manly arms didn't let me. I tried again but he didn't budge.