26.

Chapter Twenty-Six: Finally

It was a whole week later when this occurred. James and Lily decided it was better to end the prank in case...another situation would happen. Which it wouldn't, knowing Lily knew how she felt and came to her senses. 

Severus stayed annoyed at them, continuing to amuse them. Lily liked it a lot better that nothing they were doing was for anyone and they were just being themselves. Sirius continued to be a complete arsehole. Remus started acting like an overprotective father to Lily but wasn't as annoying as Sirius was. Peter...well...nothing really changed with him.

And James. Sirius was right, James was treating her like his world. He was a lot happier with her and he never had to hide his feelings around her. Whether he was upset or not.

It was one Saturday night in the common room when Lily was studying for an upcoming Transfiguration test. James had Quidditch practice (he didn't want her to be distracted while studying, so he told her not to go) that night, so Lily listened.

The common room still had other Gryffindors, but not many. Marlene, Dorcas, Remus, Peter, and other students. Marlene was studying with Lily, although being a bit distracting with random questions.

"You and James?" she asked teasingly. 

Lily rolled her eyes. "Oh shut it, I'm reading."

The portrait door was slammed once again by none other than Sirius, causing everyone in the room to jump. Lily looked at the entrance to see the laughing Sirius and the angry James behind him. 

"Oi, there's people working in here," protested James to Sirius.

"People, meaning Lily, eh?" Sirius teased laughing. James rolled his eyes.

"I hate you." James gave Sirius a shove on the arm.

Lily rolled her eyes with a smile and continued to hide her face behind a book. They were reviewing the way to Apparate and Disapparate. Lily looked over from James to Sirius, both discussing something. Sirius still laughing and James still annoyed.

"What d'you think they're talking about?" asked Marlene in an annoying voice.

"I don't really care," said Lily flatly then going back to her book.

"Well it looks like they're talking about you."

Lily looked up and notice both of them glancing at her from time to time. She shook it off and ignored it. "I bet it's nothing," she responded. 

---

"Sirius, I'm not going to do it!" said James.

"You can, she's right there and you could just ask her, simple!" protested Sirius, glancing at Lily.

James shook his head. "I can't, she's going to say 'no' and I'll embarrass myself."

"Fine, I'll do it." Sirius's words didn't make sense until he started walking in Lily's direction and James realized. "Lily, James was going to ask — "

James came up from behind Sirius and covered his mouth. "You dumb arse," said James.

Sirius stood up again, back to the corner of the room where they were talking. "If you weren't going to do it, I could do it for you!"

"She's going to say 'no'."

"She loves you."

James rolled his eyes. "I can't do it. Too scared."

"Just say it was a dare from me if anything goes wrong, which it won't, now grow up and be a big boy!" answered Sirius, tapping him on the back.

---

Lily ignored everything else going on and just read. She noticed a shy James coming up to her, his face red and he was biting his lower lip. Lily tilted her head. "Are you okay?"

James nodded shyly. "I, I was wondering if y, you," he hesitated, "would — damn it, never mind."

Lily put her book down. "Are you sure you're okay? Did you want to tell me something?"

"Yeah," yelled Sirius from across the room. "He wanted to — "

"Shut up, Sirius!" replied James. He faced her again. 

Lily stood up. "Did something happen? Is something wrong?" she asked.

"No, no, I..." James hesitated, not meeting her eyes. "Can I talk to you, please? In private, I kinda hate everyone else in this room right now."

Lily nodded with a slight laugh. James took her hand and brought her to one of the corners in the common room.

"Is there something wrong?" Lily asked. "Did you do something stupid?"

"Well I hope it's not stupid to ask, but...w, would you go out with me?" he muttered loud enough for a small amount of people to hear. 

Lily's heart dropped. She knew her answer already but wanted to see a reaction out of him. She didn't say anything, just raised her eyebrows with a smile starting to form on her lips. "Wow."

"It was a prank, I swear, it was a dare!" he protested with his hands up. "Don't get mad."

"How could I say 'yes' if it was a dare, then?" she giggled. 

James's expression was unforgettable. His face turned completely red and lit up. "Wait...wait what?"

Lily smiled. "You heard me."

"I thought you'd rather date the Giant Squid than me?" he joked with a grin.

"Screw the Giant Squid," she said simply. "Is it a prank?"

James shook his head, messing up his hair. "No, that was my excuse. Well, Sirius's excuse. Well — "

"Well I said yes. Now shut up." Lily wrapped her arms around his neck and quickly kissed him then and there, not caring if anyone was watching. His arms coiled around her back. Once they released, James couldn't look at her. The small amount of people in the common room watched them with a huge grin. Lily moved away part of his hair with her finger. "You're lucky I said 'yes' this time," she laughed.

James chuckled. "You have no idea, I was terrified."

"Terrified of me? Your girlfriend?" The new name felt different when Lily finally said it. How she never thought she'd ever say it, but she just had and it fit her well.

James smiled. "Terrified of asking in case you'd say 'no' again. And slightly terrified of you."

"That's no surprise there." Lily kissed him on the cheek. "Now take a shower, you sweaty frickin' moron," she laughed.

"All right, fine." James kissed her forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweaty moron."

a/n

i'VE BEEN WAITING TO WRITE THIS FOR FOREVER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEmus
this chapter (including author's note) is 1,061 words
thanks for reading

~the sweater