Chapter 7 | Burning Cards

"HOW are you?" iyan ang mga salitang lumabas sa bibig ni Neil mula nang magpunta sila ni Hailee sa rooftop nang ayain niya itong mag-usap.

Neil was once a cupid too, like Hailee. But the only difference is, he surrendered his locket after he finished his quest and became human.

Hailee did not hear any news when he did and Hailee finds it strange that they are talking like it is just yesterday.

Hailee was not really planning to avoid him earlier but she thought she was seeing cupids again and if she can see them again, it can only mean she is far from becoming human completely or they will take her back.

"I was still the same Hailee. How about you?" nilingon niya ang katabi at tumingala lang ito bago mahinang tumawa.

Neil and Hailee didn't talk much before as their previous work is as unfortunate and tiring as it is to expect that one of them will be delighted to catch up on each other.

But seeing someone she knew from her past laugh with joy at this moment, made Hailee smile too as I know he deserves it. Neil was one of the kindest ones I've known.

"It feels a lot lighter being a human, you know," Neil looked at her. "You can choose who you love and I can become who I want to be in order to make my woman happy." he smiled and stared at the stars above.

Hailee also looked towards the sky and saw how it is so clear to show them how the stars joined the huge moon in lighting up their night. She despised that view before as she felt lonely seeing the moon alone but now, she can only feel its serenity.

"But aren't you supposed to forget your memories as a cupid?" Hailee asked Neil, her eyes are still fixated above.

Cupids who completed their quest can choose whether to free themselves from the burden of their memories and start anew or to surrender their locket and continue moving forward.

Seems like Neil chose the latter and Hailee doesn't get why he would do so when he also despised being cupid before.

Neil saw the confusion written on Hailee's face and sighed.

"What can I do? I met her when I was still a cupid and I cannot bear to forget her. Not now when she only has years left to live. We are lucky enough that I got to finish my quest on time."

Tinignan lang ni Hailee si Neil at may bahid ng kalungkutan na namutawi sa mga mata nito.

He then traced the stars above like he was drawing an image.

"I know how finding a soulmate works as I was a cupid once," He glanced at her and smiled. "But I'm not afraid anymore because I know we'll have each other's names on our cards."

Neil looks so assured and happy saying those and the certainty in his words made me her again.

She knows that it is not right but at that moment, Hailee somehow envied him.

Neil was able to present himself to the one he loves without any lies and there is no reason for him to put up any facade. And with this limited time they have with each other, she is pretty sure they will make the most out of it.

No lies, no suppression of feelings, just pure joy for the moments they are able to share together.

"What about you? Do you have any guy? The one you're with earlier?"tanong nito kay Hailee.

Napakunot naman si Hailee ng noo sa tinanong nito. Agad niyang hinagilap sa utak kung sino ang tinutukoy ni Neil nang maalala si Nathan.

Mabilis niyang iwinasiwas ang dalawang palad at humagalpak ng tawa.