~ Chapter 38 ~

As the sun rises, the ship is anchored out at sea. Chris and his friends and family, minus Sonic, are celebrating New Year's Day.

"Just a few minutes to go." Chuck informed.

"This is the perfect way to start the new year!" Amy exclaimed.

"This is going to be fun!" Y/N agreed.

"Yeah, much better than celebrating at midnight." Chris said.

"Celebrating the first sunrise of the new year - great idea, Mr. Tanaka."

Ella gently elbows Tanaka.

"Thank you." he said.

"Get ready, guys. As soon as the sun comes up, we use our noisemakers."

Chris removes a party popper from a box he is holding. Everyone gathers round Chris to take party poppers except Cream and Cheese.

"Hold on, Chris! I think we should just wait for the sun instead because if we make too much noise, we might scare the sun away!"

"Chaaao!"

"The sun isn't gonna get scared away, Cream." Chris assured.

"Don't you worry one bit, dear. The sun will be happy to get such a nice welcome!" Vanilla smiled at her daughter.

"Okay then. I'll take one."

Cream heads over to Chris and claims a party popper for herself. Y/N leans down to her level.

"It'll be fun. Trust me."

Cream nodded with a smile.

"Sonic needs one too."

Chris looks around.

"Huh?"

But Sonic is nowhere to be found. Tails motions to the sky.

"Try that way."

There, sitting at the top of the ship, is the blue hedgehog himself. Obviously something is bugging him. Y/N wondered if he's doing okay. Tanaka holds up his own party popper.

"Okay, let's get ready!"

Everyone holds up their party poppers.

"You will pull the strings all together. I will give you a signal as soon as the sun comes over the horizon. A few seconds more... The sky is getting lighter... lighter... It's almost here..."

The sun begins to rise.

"Get ready... Go!"

Suddenly, in space, the moon moves in front of the sun, creating an unprecedented solar eclipse as the sky darkens. Everyone sweatdrops.

"No way!"

"That doesn't look like the sun."

"Chao-chao chao chao!"

"What's happening?" Y/N asked in shock.

Sonic sits up. Cream and Cheese are crying.

"I told you we shouldn't make all that noise! The sun did get scared and now it's hiding!"

"Please don't cry, Cream dear. I'm sure the sun will come back soon. This eclipse surely won't last long." Vanilla reassured her.

Sonic watches the eclipse with a grim expression. Y/N glares in suspiciousness that it's Eggman's doing and wonders what he's up to now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the White House, Eggman is hosting a press conference with three other men.