Prologue

The hooves of four horses sound through the courtyard as a foreign carriage enters. Two men exit the vehicle as it comes to a halt before the front entrance. While dressed smartly, in their Sunday's best, it would be clear to anyone that these two do not belong on the castle grounds.

The visit however is expected, the Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna herself having requested the pair to come to the Belvedere Palace.

It was an odd affair, two academics and authors traveling from Berlin to Weimar to see a Russian princess, and now the Grand Duchess of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach by marriage, in order to discuss a collection of children's stories that the pair had gathered from far and near.

As they enter the palace, two footmen lead them up to the Grand Duchess's private chambers where she usually only allows female company, having made an exception on this occasion.

The woman is rather young still, only a little over a decade into her marriage to the Grand Duke, but her features age her as she had a disfigurement brought upon her by a pioneering application of a smallpox vaccine many years before.

Maria therefore often lives in the world of music and books, spending most her time playing the piano and reading rather than entertaining company. This however lead her to discover the version the Brothers Grimm had created of the tale of the young Cinderella, a version she finds to be greatly flawed.

"Good day gentlemen, thank you so much for coming." The Duchess greets the men as they sit down opposite her around the small round table sat in the middle of the room. She signals for tea to be brought in and waits until it has been served to start their discussion.

"I am sure you must be wondering why I have asked you here." She says as she puts down her cup after sipping the hot beverage.

"Your letter was certainly intriguing, Madam." Jacob, the eldest brother replies.

"I must admit, I find your collection of folk tales quite brilliant actually." The Duchess says sincerely.

"Thank you." The younger brother, Wilhelm replies before the woman continues.

"But I must say, I was terribly disturbed when I read your version of the tale of the little cinder girl."

"Well, there are hundreds of accounts, some swearing a version with magic pumpkins is closer to the truth." The older brother says, before Wilhelm takes over.

"Some swear the shoe was made of fur, others insist it was glass... well, I guess we'll never know."

The noble woman waves at a maid, the younger girl returning with an engraved box made of pure silver moments later.

"Forgive me, but might I enquire about the painting? She really is quite extraordinary." Jacob says as he views a portrait of a young woman which sits in the corner of the room in a golden frame. The girl's features are round and elegant, her expression calm as her long hair flows around her in large curls.

"Her name was Beatrice Mattel. And this, was her glass slipper. Perhaps you will allow me to set the record straight?" The Grand Duchess says as she picks a beautiful shoe out of the silver box.

"Then it's true? The story?" The writer inquires.

"Yes, quite. Now.. what is that frase you use? Ah yes, once upon a time there lived a young girl who loved her father very much..."