Chapter 7: The Life of A Servant

When Trixie and Steven returned to the manor, they were met by Mrs Davis and Tempest in the gardens. Mr and Mrs Davis through themselves into eachothers arms as they rejoiced in their good fortune. It was the most lovely display of love and joy that the young girl had ever seen, it even causing tears of joy to fall from her eyes. Her happiness was short lived however as she was quickly called into the main room by the Baroness who seemed everything but pleased.

She two other young ladies of the house were sat playing a game of dice when Beatrice entered the room.

"Somebody's in trouble." The dark haired sister said in a snarky singsong tone.

"What do you mean?" Trixie replied confused, for surely the Baroness could not already have found out about her trip to the palace?

"You stupid, stupid girl! How dare you do this to me? To Violet? Oh, the whole thing sickens me. It is outrageously deceitful and I will not have it in this house, Beatrice." Irina screamed at her as she pushed the young girl into a nearby chair, hovering over her as she scolded the girl.

"What did I do?" The  brown eyed girl asked innocently.

"Think, Beatrice, think really hard." Violet taunted. Trixie looked towards Courtney, hoping the kinder sister would offer her some clue. The other blonde mimed two legs galloping while mouthing the word horse, making the brown eyed girl remember that morning's events.

"The Grand Duchess Yekaterina stole our horse this morning?" Trixie tried.

"Yes, and that would explained why she returned it this afternoon." Irina said in a mocking tone, before continuing with her rant. "How dare you let her surprise us like that?" 

"I am sorry, stepmother." The young girl replied in a terrified tone.

"Luckily for you, Violet twisted the situation and turned in a beautiful performance. She and the princess had quite an interlude."  The Baroness bragged.

"Yes, I would not be surprise if she drops by again." Violet agreed as she threw the dice once more.  

Trixie almost wanted to laugh at this considering how The Grand Duchess had been completely desperate to learn her name when they had met at the palace. For surely if the princess was so interested in Trixie's stepsister, she would not have been that adamant to learn the name of an unknown courtier.

"Come, come, I must know exactly what was said. The simplest frase can have a thousand meanings. She said you spoke forcefully, what did you say?" Irina enquired. This question made Beatrice nervous once more as she had far from treated The Grand Duchess as one should a member of House Romanov. 

"I-I called her a thief, madam. I did not reckognize her!" The young girl tried to explain. The Baronesse started to laugh in mocking and false pity.

"Oh, Beatrice, you poor little country girl. Well, we must work extra hard to make sure the manor is spotless. We cannot have a royal bottom sitting on dirty chairs now, can we? No, of course not." The girl's stepmother said in a condescending tone. Trixie innocently nodded, fearing the consequences if she showed anything but remorse for her mistake.

 Just then Mr and Mrs Davis and Tempest entered the room to inform the Baroness of the man's return. Violet met them right away with rude questions of why the servant was standing in her main room. Nevertheless, Trixie was thankful that the focus was no longer on her.

"I-I have worked off your... my debts, madam. They told me I could go home." Steven told his employer. Luckily for them, and especially for the brown eyed girl, the Baroness was far too self-involved to look into how this magical return of her servant had come to pass and therefore instead of questioning the man, just opted to wave him off in order to make the farmhand leave the main room.

"Fine, go... catch a chicken." Irina said in indifference before leaving the room herself, giving Trixie the opportunity to leave aswell, fairly unscathed by the confrontation.