37

I stumble away from the door slowly until I hit the kitchen table. I grab at my hair angrily, how could he have done this? Is the earth playing some kind of cruel trick on me?

I sink down onto the floor and crawl back over to the door. I lean my back against the cool wood. "Violet, baby, please I can explain. Please." I hear Shane sob through the door. A sob erupts from inside me and multiple cries start to spill out.

After several minutes I finally get it under control and put my ear to the door still hearing Shane crying and whimpering my name every now and then. I clear my throat trying to stay strong, "Go home Shane. I don't want to see your face. Ever. Again." My voice cracks at the end making me just sound pathetic.

"You don't mean that. You can't mean that." Shane says loudly. I bite my lip keeping another sob in. "I do." A strangled howl comes from the other side of the door. It's so sad that it causes another tear to roll down my cheek.

I shift debating if I should get up and apologize or not.
What are you doing Violet? You're debating if you should apologize to someone who just cheated on you.

Yea, but he's also the person who would risk their life for you and who you love.

I shake my head and stand up putting my hand on the door knob. "Violet?" He calls out as if I've disappeared. I lean my forehead against the rough surface of the door, "I'm still here." My voice sounds horrible. Like I've been smoking my whole life.

"Baby please let me in. I'm sorry." I sigh gripping the door knob tightly. "I want you to tell me what happened. How did she smell? How did she feel? Was she better? Every. Single. Detail." I say slowly. There's a long pause before I hear Shane say meekly, "You don't want to-"

"I know what I fucking want, Shane! What I want is for you to tell me everything or you'll never see me again." Another long pause follows my out burst until he murmurs a "Fine."

I crack the door open reveling a messy haired, stressed, and panicked Shane.

"Baby." He says and takes one large step towards me. He rests a large hand on my cheek and stokes the visible tear streaks. "I'm so sorry." His eyes travel over my face as he speaks in a whisper.

I turn away from his touch. "It's too late for sorry." I immediately regret my words as he withdraws his hand and a few tears run out of his eyes. "Well I'm still sorry." His voice cracks several times.

I step closer to him and his head pops up in excitement from my sudden motion.

I stop as he walks toward me as well. He pulls me into him and pushes his lips onto mine. I don't kiss back I just let his kisses get more and more desperate. That's all this kiss is. Desperate.

He pulls back holding me tighter and looking into my eyes sadly. "Kiss back." He almost whines.

"Shane," I say softly. He huffs and steps back a little. "Come on, let's go talk." I say stepping back into the apartment. Shane nods and follows me through the doorway.

We sit on the couch and I turn on a lamp. "We have to be quiet Ben and Athena are sleeping." I say looking past him and then finally making eye contact with him to see that he's raising an eyebrow.

"Athena and Ben, together, in bed? What's going on with them." A hint of playfulness is evident in his voice.

"Yea," I pause unsure how to continue, "I think they're a couple now." I say slowly and a small pit of guiltiness settles in stomach. I don't even know if my own best friend is in a relationship. I make a mental note to sit down and talk with her tomorrow.