Chapter Five

**chapter five redone ;) hopefully starting to update the trap more!! hope you're all excited for that!! KEEP READING SHH PLEASE - VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE!** Chapter Five

When we were little, Alex and I always used to get what we wanted. Like real Daddy’s little girls. Dad and Jonah always did have a father-son bond, but I guess it was no match for our pretty little faces and pink dresses.

“But Dad...” I remember Jonah saying.

“No buts. You can do this anytime – your sisters can’t.”

“Yes they can! They’re lying!” He protested.

“Now, why would my little angels lie?” defended my Dad, who would defend us even to the point where we were lying out of our asses.

“Oh, that’s right. Your little angels never do anything wrong, do they?”

“Jonah, don’t take that tone with me.” He leant back in his chair and rubbed his fingers against his dark stubbly moustache, as if he was in thought but he wasn’t. He did this a lot. In fact, this was one of his default moves – something he did regularly but had become so accustomed to that he didn’t even realise.

“You know what, I don’t even care anymore.” Jonah started for the stairs like he usually did, but this time was different. He stopped halfway and turned around to face my baby sister and I.

                “You always get everything you want – well, I hope you’re happy, Cassie. And you too, Alex.” And even though I was only four, I’ll always remember those words, “I hope you’re very happy, because I’m not. And I won’t ever be, not until you burn in hell!” He yelled – the best insult he could conjure up age eight. At that, I remember bursting into tears and my dad had to comfort me for hours. My brother, obviously, got the telling-off of his life.

                It’s just what happened after that started it all. That started the secret.

“I’m sorry, Jonny.” I whispered, pushing open his door. It was just after eight o'clock and my mother had tucked me in over half an hour ago. I couldn't sleep - I felt guilty for making Jonah so angry, the angriest I'd ever seen him. So I'd climbed out of bed and made my way to his room feeling sorry for myself.

“It’s okay, Cass.” I remember him patting a space next to him on the bed, while I was still in shock that we could even be friends again.

I shut the door and jumped into the bed. He cradled his arm around me, gently.

“Do you want me to read you a story?”

“No, that’s okay.” I looked at him, then, and smiled as big as I could. I yawned out of tiredness and then continued, “Are you mad at me?”

“No, Cassie.”

“Are you sure?” I giggled.

“Positive.” He sighed, “It’s just...” Jonah struggled for words, “I want to be treated like a little angel too. You know, get stuff that I want, do the things that I want to do. It doesn’t mean I love you any less.”

“You love me less?” Was all I’d picked up and repeated.

“No, I love you more than anyone else in the whole wide world.”

“I love you too, Jonah.” I snuggled closer.

                And then a cough. Two more. It took some more coughing and panting for us to realise that it was actually coming from our parents’ room, and from our dad’s mouth.

Then we noticed the smoke drifting into his room and I screamed loudly.

                “Cassie? Jonah? Alex?” I could hear our mother calling.

I was still screaming when Jonah put me on his back and opened his door. The fire was huge, dancing and waving in orange and red twists in front of us. The smoke made it difficult to breathe and hard to see.

 He slammed the door shut and headed for Alex’s room via the door that led there in his. We had all three of our bedrooms in a line - it made bedtime 'tucking in', as well as 'playtime', so much easier for Mom and Dad. Before I knew it, Alex, less than 8 months, was in his arms and I was in his back. I could hear our mother still screaming and yelling for help, but I knew there was no way an 8 year old could carry her as well.

“You have to jump!”

I screamed in reply.

“Cassie, you have to jump.” He took me to the edge and lifted me over, my legs dangling outside, “Please, Cassie. You’ll be okay – just jump!” I looked straight into his eyes and knew that it was now or never. So I closed my eyes, my face wet with confusion and frustration, and found myself on the ground.

                He checked behind him, the fire growing stronger and larger.

“I’m coming down!” He shouted to me. I was crying, screaming and terrified, not even sure of what was going on, but I knew that I had to help my brother. I could hardly breathe, even though I hadn't been in the smoke that long. 

“Cass!” He yelled, his voice barely audible against the fire, “No matter what happens, catch Alex!”

“What about you?”

“Don’t worry! Catch Alex!” He screamed, his voice not able to project much louder.

                “Son...” The door opened behind Jonah and our father crawled in, coughing and choking.

“Take...” He started, “T-take care of my little... angels.” He managed, “Take, take, t-take care of your mother,” He gulped, weakly, “And yourself.” At this, even the brother I'd known all my short life as brave big brother Jonah burst into tears, knowing that there was no time to jump and save his father both.

                “I love you, Dad.” His lungs filling with the smoke.

“I love you,” He lay out his hand, letting go of the Earth, his family, leaving behind everything, “Jonah.” A breath.