Chapter Ten

** changed my mind about the teaser chapter, that'll come later ;) so you'll have to make do with chapter 9 and 10 * sighhhh * ;) ;) **

Chapter Ten

We’ve reached the Welcome to Arizona sign.

“Isn’t it funny how she’s been living right in the middle of us and neither of us noticed?”

“Don’t you mean ‘bothered to check’?” I’m sitting upright now and staring out ahead at the greenery and scenery. They’re both beautiful. I’ve never been to Arizona, per say, but I’ve heard about it.

            “Good sleep?” Charlie asks.

“Great, thanks.” I reply, with a hint of sarcasm in my tone.

“Hey, are you two okay?”

“Fine,” I say, “Excellent,” He answers at the same time.

            We’re at a café in Phoenix and I’m tracing through a map with my finger online, wondering where Alex could be. Jonah is in the line waiting impatiently, to order pancakes. I know he’s frustrated because he’s tapping his foot and scratching his chin. That’s what he does when he’s frustrated. When he’s lying, he pulls on his ear. But of course, I never do tell him these little things I know about it him – he’d stop doing that then and that would be my foolproof lie detector methods gone.

“You’re never going to find her that way.” Charlie sits back in his chair and stretches out his arms. He cracks his knuckles, “Let me try.”

            I’m watching him to see what kind of stupid plan he has to crack Alexis’ code, and I imagine he’ll fall flat on his face within the first five seconds. His typing is rapid, furious. He looks like a madman right now – I mean, I’m even afraid to say his name and distract him for even a second. I watch him and then the screen, the screen is black and random numbers and letters are coming up in bright white. For a moment, I fear for my laptop and think about yanking it off of him and sparking off an argument. But a little part, just a fraction of me, wants to trust him. So I let him carry on.

            The letters and numbers are scrolling down the page, even more quickly than his typing. I notice he’s not even looking at the keyboard; he looks like he’s just acting and anytime now, he’ll stop and laugh in my face like it’s all a big joke.

He slams down ‘return’ with his index and up comes what seems like Alex’s life story. Her accounts open, YouTube, MySpace, MSN, all open and her messages there for us to see. Her contact details are on one screen, and it hits me then that this is illegal. I feel a pang in my stomach to stop him, but I’m actually excited. It terrifies me knowing exactly what we’re doing, that we’re breaking the law, and even that we could go to jail.

            But the danger of it all was that I didn’t care. This was real. This was only just beginning.

“Wow.” I laugh at him, the nerves gone from my voice and my mind, “Quit wagging your tail – seriously.” He looks at me with bright green eyes and I’m stuck again for about a millisecond and I smile at him like I’m in a dream, and we’re two lovers in a boat on a French river and then,

“This syrup is amazing!” Jonah sits down and interrupts our stare off as I wonder to myself how he isn’t on World’s Largest People. The man has the appetite of an elephant. In fact, I would even include ‘I’m not hungry’ on his list of ‘NEVER SAID WORDS’.

            “Ok, give me about a half hour to trace her number to her house.”

“No, that’s too long.”

“What?”

“This whole café will be empty by then.” We laugh.

“Aww, happy days.” Jonah says, mouth-full and bright eyes.