16.

Reseda, California 

Daniel's pov:

"Where's Riley, Daniel-San?" Mr Miyagi asked. I was helping him to trim some Bonsai trees in the apartment complex. He had picked me up from the airport since ma was working that morning. "She's in London with her new boyfriend" I mumbled. The thought of it pained me, the one person I loved the most was out of my life. "But you are boyfriend?" He puzzled.

"It's complicated" I sighed, not really wanting to go into detail about what happened. "Ah Daniel-San, love is what you make it. You must fight for what's right" he comforted, almost as if he knew everything that had gone down. I wanted Riley so badly but a deal's a deal. 

---

I met up with Ma for lunch. "Daniel!! How I've missed those baby browns, huh" she greeted me cheerfully. I smiled and hugged her tightly, I missed my mom. "So, how was England?" She asked as we sat down to eat. "It was okay" I shrugged, I didn't want to make it seem like a big issue. "Is that it? Where's Riley?" She pressed further. I sighed. 

Everyone wanted to know where Riley was. "She's still there" is all I replied. Ma looked at me oddly, she could sense something was up. "What's wrong honey?" She asked curiously. I played with the food on my plate with my fork, I didn't want to explain it all to my mother. "I miss her," I said. It was the truth after all, I did miss her.

"You'll see her soon, you make such a sweet couple" she cheered. I sunk back in my seat. This was harder to deal with than I thought.

---

I met up with Freddy and Marcia in the diner that evening. "Where's Riley?" Freddy asked when he noticed the empty seat beside me. I explained the whole situation to them, they were just as angry at Joseph. "That's horrible! He is the biggest twat" Marcia exclaimed. I smiled to myself, she was using Riley's lingo. If anyone knew Riley, they knew that she loved to call people a twat. "But shouldn't you be in England with her?" Freddy asked as he sipped on his milkshake.

"No dude, she has to be with Joseph. That's what we agreed, the winner keeps her" I almost couldn't finish my sentence. Then, I got the harshest and most unexpected response of my life. "Daniel, I'm sorry to have to say this but you're a twat too. You should've never let her go, forget that ridiculous settlement you made. Riley loves you and you love her!" Marcia said firmly.

Freddy and I glanced at each other with wide eyes. Usually, Marcia kept to herself but she really went off on me. "Damn it...I've messed up haven't I?" I facepalmed. "No buddy, you'll be okay," Freddy said nicely. I couldn't go back to London, I had to stay in Reseda. "Look, I think you should talk to Riley when she's back, I know you both will be okay" she started softening towards me.

"I really hope so."