18.

Reseda, California

A few days later

Daniel's pov:

Finally, it was the day Riley was coming home. I couldn't stop thinking about her, I needed to get her back no matter what. "Are you ready Daniel?" Ma called out. "Coming!" I called back. I joined her in the living room and she smiled at me. "I bet you can't wait to see Riley" she beamed. I nodded my head excitedly. We went out into the parking lot but ma's car wouldn't start. "You know the drill" she chuckled. I stood behind the car and pushed as she started the engine, then I ran and hopped in.

On the way to the airport I couldn't stop moving in my seat, ma noticed this and laughed at me. After being apart for a week I didn't want to wait any longer. When we arrived, ma parked up the car in a free spot. "I'll wait here for you two lovey doveys" she smiled, I nodded my head in response. I eagerly climbed out and raced towards the terminal where I knew Riley would be coming in. After about ten minutes, I heard her flight arrival being announced on the speakers.

I watched as people began flooding out from the archway, I noticed a few of them were British from the way they dressed. I peered around for Riley but she was nowhere to be seen. I waited and waited, where the hell could she be? Eventually, the doors were shut which meant that the plane was empty. Frustrated, I approached a lady behind the desk. "Excuse me but my girlfriend didn't come off the flight, she just flew back from London" I explained. She called a co-worker over and they discussed the issue.

"I'm sorry sir but everyone has been checked, there's nobody left behind" she replied. I thought for a moment, did Riley walk past me and I didn't notice her? No, I was standing right by the terminal gate, I definitely would've noticed her. "Uh thanks" I mumbled. I began slowly walking back through the airport when it hit me.

She didn't catch her flight.

Riley didn't come home.

The thought of her staying with Joseph replayed in my head, tears slipped down my cheeks. She was gone for good and it was all my fault, I let her go. Angrily, I punched the wall. It hurt but I was too angry to care. How could I? I regretted taking an early plane home, I should've stayed and then we could've come home together as we had planned.

I stormed back to the car, the door slammed behind me which made Ma jump. "Where's Riley?" She asked confused. "She didn't come home" I muttered too quietly. "Daniel, I asked-" she began but I cut her off. "She didn't come home ma! Drop it" I snapped loudly at her. Ma sighed and pulled me in for a tight hug. "I'm sorry hun," she comforted me. I glared out the window furiously with no response. 

We drove away from the airport. What should've been a day of happiness was now a day of crap.