17.

A week later

"Thanks," I say as Mr Miyagi hands me a coffee. I haven't left the hospital since Riley arrived, I've been sleeping in the armchair beside her. Her condition is still the same, she hasn't improved or gotten worse. The doctors have been running lots of tests on her, the only good news so far is that the cut on her head has healed.

I keep an eye on her when the doctor calls me outside for a word. "I just wanted to let you know that we found traces of Nonbenzodiazepine sedative-hypnotics in her system, quite a lot of it actually" he replies. My eyes widen even though I have no clue what he's talking about.

"What is that?" I question. "They're sleeping drugs used to treat insomnia or anxiety. But, too much dosage can lead to memory loss and we found double the amount a person is supposed to take. For example, such as cooking a meal or driving a car, you would have no recollection of the event upon awakening" the doctor explains.

I feel my blood boiling, it's bad enough that they kidnapped my girlfriend but they drugged her too. "Thank you, doc," I say to him through gritted teeth before heading back into the room. I scoop her hand in mine again, I'm holding back tears. I'm so lost in my anger I don't even notice that John has arrived. "Oh, sweetheart" a sobbing voice call out. I look over at Riley's dad who looks just as broken as I do as he stares at her.

"Hey.." I greet him with a quiet voice. He pulls me in for a hug, I let him cry into my shoulder. "I haven't heard from her in weeks and then suddenly I get a call she's in a coma," he says shakily. I don't respond to him, I don't know how to. I knew what happened to his daughter but I still never told him and the guilt is getting to me.

Marcia enters the room a moment after, she approaches us with a startled look. "I-I can't believe this has happened" she quavers. The three of us stand watching over her, I wonder if she can hear us. "Riley-San will be alright" Mr Miyagi tries to comfort us, he pats John's shoulder.

"I hope she wakes up soon, I need answers. It's not like Riley to disappear without a word" John sighs heavily. I look at Mr Miyagi and I know he's thinking the same. A small part of me is aching to tell him the truth but I can't bring myself to say it. "Should I call the police? Maybe they know something" he adds.

"No! I mean...No they won't be able to tell you anything I don't think" I say nervously. He gives me a side-eye, questioning my tone. "Please wake up darling, we all miss you," he says to her. Riley doesn't respond in any way, the only thing that reminds us that she's still here is the heart monitor beside her bed.