Two

Another day, another ache.

The bruise around my eyes had somehow darkened and it looked worse than it felt. It was five thirty and already awake. It was still dark out. I rolled out of bed, grabbing my phone as I made my way towards the bathroom.

I flipped on the lights and left the door unlocked in case Mason wanted to use the toilet since it was conjoined. I made sure to wash my hair first before soaping up the rest of my body. I couldn't use much time in the bathroom since Mason got up at six and I had to get his breakfast ready.

Once I was done showering, I brushed and finally slipped out of the bathroom with a towel around my waist. I picked out my clothes, moisturized and slid them on, a white long sleeved shirt to cover some bruises on my arms and cargo pants, I didn't do anything on my hair and just left it to air dry.

I was dressed in time and quickly made my way to the kitchen. It was the first place I had to clean up in the house since Mason liked to eat at the kitchen table. I cleaned up everything, spraying antibacterial cleaner and wiping it down with a towel.

Breakfast consisted of toast, bacon and fresh hand squeezed orange juice. I was almost done with the toast when Mason walked into the kitchen. He was dressed already, smelling like the strawberry shower gel I had gotten. He was in a black shirt and a white shirt with a grey tie. His blonde hair was styled off his face. I remembered a time when one look at Mason made my heart skip a beat but now all I want to do is make sure I don't make a mistake. I was very self conscious of that.

"Good morning." I said, as I slipped the tray towards his end of the table. I always made Mason's food first, since he had to go to work and I could eat at any other time.

"Good morning to you, too." He said as he grabbed a fork. There was a tick in his jaw, I could see it as bright as day, so I had to tread carefully.

Instead of making myself breakfast, I left Mason alone in the kitchen and went into the room to grab his office bag. I made sure there was no stain on it and it was clean. I grabbed his wallet and phone and quickly made my way back to the kitchen. I placed his wallet and phone on the table, his bag right by his feet and then left to get the car keys.

"Everything's ready." I said, keeping my hands to myself. Mason had finished his breakfast and had drank half of his orange juice. 

"Thank you, baby." Mason said, reaching for my hand. I let him pull me closer to him, my hand still in his. Mason pressed his face against my chest, taking a deep breath and letting it out.

"Are you alright, Mason?"

"I'm good. I won't be coming home tonight, Deri, there's a work seminar at Hexi Hotel and it's gonna end late. I'll just get a room there." Mason said and for a certain reason I got excited. Mason wasn't gonna be home today.

It's like a public holiday announcement.

"That's alright. Hexi is hours and hours away, you can stay in the hotel." I said, rubbing his shoulder.

Once it was fifteen past seven, Mason pressed a kiss to my cheek and another to my nose before leaving the house. Once he was gone, I fell onto the nearest couch and curled up, tugging on the throw pillow and holding it tight.

Mason wasn't going to be home and there were a good number of things I could do. I looked down at my shirt and back up, my gaze resting on the curtains. The sun was out now, sunlight still coming in despite the drawn curtains.

I hummed to myself as I just kept staring at the curtains. They were white with little black dots all over it, the spots weren't even visible unless you got closer to it. I don't know how long I stared there for but I eventually fell asleep.