Needed

I watched as these men threw rock fists at Gram and Yun. Gram held up a rock shield as Yun through his own fiery punches.

"Tao, run!" Gram yelled at me.

Jet caught his breath behind me. "What's-" he looked up, and his eyes widened. He drew his hook blades.

One of the men looked at me. "Are you one of them?"

Jet put a blade in front of me protecting. "Of course not, are you crazy," he yelled. "I thought the Dai Li was supposed to be abolished." he snarled.

I drew a deep breath. "I am." I didn't turn to see Jet's reaction, but I dodged a fist the man threw at me and lit whips of fire.

"Tao, get in!" Yun yelled. His eyes were wide in fear, and expression that I had never seen before and one that melted my heart. Gram's legs were shaking as she held a tiny entrance to a new tunnel open. There was no way she would have the strength to keep it wide enough for the three of us. Men began the circle around them. I jumped in front of the entrance.

"I'll find you," I said and lashed out at the men coming closer. It was clear they had never fought a fire bender.

"Tao, I refuse to leave you." Gram said weakly.

I didn't say anything else but continued to protect the opening.

Yun said something that I couldn't hear over the yelling and earth. I could only make out the desperation in his voice before hearing the opening close. Liquid hot tears ran down my face, and I breathed fire into the air as a signal to the rest. I screamed, and a wall of fire formed around me before I fanned it out and watched the men scramble away from the heat. I scanned to find Jet and saw him battling three men, reaching their ankles and dodging earth blows. I grabbed one of the men on the wrist with a whip, and he instantly recoiled. I looked at Jet. "Jet, grab my arm."

"Like hell I'll ever touch you again." he barked back at me.

We didn't have time, I took his arm and skated on a wall of fire (Azula during the last agni kai typa shit). Mixed with frantic running and fire skating, we managed to distance between the men and us. When I recognized the shady town, we slowed our pace.

"Look Jet-"

"Don't. Speak." He didn't meet my eyes. "You're on your own."

"Hey, I just saved your ass from those earth benders." Just for a week or two, and I'll be out of sight."

He didn't say anything but kept walking. His teeth were so clenched, it broke the stem of his wheatgrass off. When we reached the condo, he didn't say anything when I entered. "Turn around," he muttered. He grabbed my hands and tied them together tightly with some rope.

"Burn it off, and I'm actually kicking your ass to the curb." he dragged me to a support beam in the middle of the room. He grabbed the jug of beer and guzzled the remainder of it down and promptly passed out and could not heat as I sobbed.

I must've cried myself to sleep because the daylight shone through the cracking in the blinders on the window. I took Jet a few more hours to finally open his eyes. I groaned and fell off the couch. "I almost forgot you were..." he hoisted himself up and went to take a shower. My mouth was parched, and I had no energy left to even leak tears from my eyes. Jet came out with a towel around his waist. He stopped and glared at me then went to his room to change into pants and an undershirt.

"Jet- water." I croaked.

He didn't say anything but got up a few minutes later and quickly poured water down my throat. I coughed up the water that got in my nose. Jet groaned and rubbed his chest.