Red

I skipped breakfast the next morning in fear that it would just come back up, even though Yun dropped some off for me. I saw the usual clients and tried to ignore my stomach withering. I needed to talk to Yun and tell him about last night, there was a possibility of something happening to someone in the village. My mind kept returning to Jet's harsh words. Hot tears welled in my eyes, I suppose this was what I deserved after indulging in my selfishness. We both understood that we could not be together but regardless, it was inevitable. Perhaps it would be best to pretend nothing was going on between us. I felt like I was going insane. I couldn't stay away from him. But the safety of the village came first. What would happen to us? My mind was continuously running.

It was already past noon before I had a small break. I sat back on the chair in my room when the door opened. I sighed and got ready for another client.

"Hey, I didn't see you at breakfast." a low voice said. "You uh... you left this last time."

I looked up and found Jet standing over me, sliding the wheatgrass from one corner of his mouth to the other. His ears were matching my red hair clip.

"Thanks," I muttered. "Jet- I heard last night... Uhm..."

He raised his eyebrows. "So you're listening to my conversations now?"

"No, no, I didn't mean to- There was a rumor some of your friends were going to turn us in or something and Yun asked me to find out."

"I see." He sighed and placed his hands on his hips. "I'll take care of it." he rubbed the back of his neck. "And what I said about you... I do... I'm in love with you Tao. I didn't want them to go after you or anything-"

"That's not my concern right now Jet," I lied.

"Right... right, still, I'm sorry about saying it- I didn't want to-"

"Jet. Something needs to happen with your friends. They run the risk of telling the Dai Li."

"There's no way- all of them have so many charges against them it would be suicide."

"Someone tipped them off when they attacked Gram and Yun. How did you happen, Jet?"He didn't say anything, he just looked down at me with tired eyes. I hadn't noticed how tall he was until now. He squatted down to my eye level and put a hand on my knee. "I'll take care of it. I promised I would protect you and your family."

I kicked his hand away and he fell backward. Tears streamed down my face. "Don't touch me. We didn't allow you and your friends to stay here for this level of ungratefulness and to try and kill us. It's against my village rules, so you'd better take care of them." I stood up and looked down at him. "I don't want to see your face until I know my people are safe. Right now, there is nothing between us." I stormed out the door.

I swung Yun's door open to find him laying down and shooting fireballs into the air. "Hey what's up, Tao- Tao, what's wrong."

I sat on the edge of the bed. "I heard them talking last night. There are four of them that are a problem. Jet said he would take care of them, but, but I don't know." I looked at Yun with desperate eyes.

He didn't say anything for a while. "I told Gram about it, she said no one is entering or exiting for a while."

I nodded at the floor. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and I felt the tears roll down my cheeks furiously. "Why- why does it have to be like this... I want it to go back to normal."

"I know," he whispered in my ear.

"I want to go back to the island." I sobbed.

"I know."

"I wish I hadn't met him!" My cheeks and neck soaked in hot tears and Yun squeezed my shoulders.

"I'm in love with you."

I turned to see Yun's face. We had never been this close before. I was wrapped in his arms and couldn't pull back, but at that moment I didn't feel the urge to. "What?" I said weakly.

"I'm in love with you." his eyes never left mine. His arms slipped off my shoulders and an arm wrapped around my waist and another pulled my face closer to his until our lips met. "I've always been, Tao. When this is over, we'll go back to the village-" he started when we pulled apart.

"Yun-" I looked away. "I'm not- I'm not in love with you."He didn't say anything.

I felt another wave of tears boil. "I'm in love with Jet."

"I know." He pulled me to his chest and his shirt soaked up my tears. I felt tears drop onto my shirt and I drew myself closer to his warmth. We stayed wrapped in each other's embrace for what seemed like years.

I had fallen asleep in his arms and only woke up when Yun laid me in my bed. I gave him a drowsy smile and he returned it with a small, sad one of his own. He placed a small kiss on my forehead and left.

I woke the next morning and waited for Yun in the Main Hall. I avoided the eyes of Jet as they followed me across the Main Hall. Yun would never miss a meal. I walked to his room to make sure he wasn't sad or sick. I swung the door open and saw only red.