Manipulate

Leigh-Anne was now at the secretary's desk in her office.

The secretary sat down and then handed the phone to her. "Why so nervous?"

Leigh took the phone quietly before showing a nervous smile. "I'm not." She said. She then held the phone to her ear. "Mother?"

"Leigh-Anne darling, hi." Her mother's voice sounded as charming and carefree as ever. "How are you sweetheart?"

Leigh had her eyes on the secretary who seemed to be watching something on her laptop now. Some of the people who worked here didn't seem to do any work. "I'm okay."

"Okay? You're okay? Then why do you sound like that? You sound like a mouse darling." Her mother laughed. "What's the matter?"

Leigh-Anne took a deep breath. "It's nothing."

"Hmm well alright. I really hope that it is. And if there is something that's the matter then you shouldn't go walking around looking like a child who had its puppy murdered. That would be weak of you."

"I know."

"Anyway, I checked my calendar this morning and it told me that today is your day."

Leigh felt her heart warm a bit. "Y-you're really calling to wish me a happy birthday?"

"Ugh don't be ridiculous. We don't celebrate such silly things. You know that."

Leigh's shoulders fell. She probably sounded stupid for asking. "It was a joke. I was only joking."

"No you weren't. You've always been silly." Her mother groaned. "Anyway it's your birthday and this birthday is important since you're an adult now. Eighteen. That's a big deal you know that right?"

"Yes."

"When I was eighteen I had my entire life planned. Oh the good old days. Have you planned out yours? What will you do once you leave that retched school? The opportunities are endless sweetheart."

Leigh's mind went completely blank for a moment. Leigh you've been planning this for a while. Tell her. "Once I graduate I'd like to find my own small job in order to save up my own money. I-I'd like to start my own pet adoption agency Mother. Here in America."

"What?" Her mother sounded disgusted. "You'd like to work with the lowly? Pet adoption- ahahahaha! You're so funny."

Leigh shrunk. "I'm not joking this time."

"Oh goodness. How embarrassing." Her mother took a moment.

Leigh felt pretty crushed. "M-my passion lies in animal care."

"Ugh but you've never even had a pet. They're disgusting, remember?"

"B-but they're not." Leigh felt her eyes stinging.

"Are you crying?"

Leigh held her breath. Her mom had sharp ears. "Heavens no."

"Hmm . . . you are. Ew. In front of the secretary? Leigh-Annnne. I called. They heard my voice so they know you're my daughter. Stop that."

Leigh swallowed it. "Sorry."

"Oh goodness. This was a bad idea wasn't it? You've upset my morning."

Leigh-Anne licked her dry lips. "Why didn't you call my cell?"

"Your- oh. Your number got lost. I must have deleted it to free some space on my phone. That's why I called the school."

Leigh felt her lips curling downwards. "Oh okay." She said softly.

"Anyway, no pet adoption whatever you said. That's just humiliating. Your sisters own big things like hotels and-and chains of fast food restaurants. You are not going to be the only one who's in charge of something pathetic. Smelly animals? Disgusting. I just ate Leigh-Anne. I'm going to have to hack it all up later. You've started a trend and it actually helps to keep my figure."