Chapter 14: Tell me Muse...

"Plasma burns are a bitch to fix..." I say out loud as I fix the engine in the warthog. 

"I'm lucky I got the easy job." Cat said from her little tech corner. She was tasked with researching the drug we just found out about. And by research I mean a little bit of hacking. 

"I'm having fun over here." Emile said on the ammo press. He's been tasked with making more ammo, and even some new dust bullets. 

"When will Carter be back?" Jorge asks, hauling boxes filled with miscellaneous parts and other basic goods. Our commander is out helping Cat with the drug, just asking around.

"He said tonight, right?" Jun said. He's helping Emile by actually loading the ammo into clips. 

"Carter seems to be a wise leader." Reha 'Sagam said, poking his head out from the hog. He's helping me out by paining out the burns from the body of the warthog. It's also my task to watch over him, but he's become a trusted ally. Sure as hell not like our trust, but still trusted. 

"He is. Without him, we're kinda lost." 

"But you're his second in command." 

"I've always been a lone wolf. Couldn't lead anyone." 

"Expect those ODSTs." Jun said. 

"Eh, I guess." 

"You seem to doubt yourself." Reha said. 

"I... okay, wow." 

"Am I wrong?" 

"I guess not." I say, refocusing on the engine. 

"I've been meaning to ask, will I be able to meet any other humans? Those four girls seemed nice..." 

"Sorry, but you're literally an alien. This isn't some metaphor for some racial injustice or anything, you're literally from an alien army that wants to kill everyone." 

"Fair enough, I suppose." He said, going back into the hog. "What were their names, anyway?" 

"Red is Ruby, white is Weiss, Black is Blake, and Yellow is Yang." 

"Thank you. Also, I'd like to mention what must be a crazy coincidence." 

"Um... okay?" 

"We had a prisoner that looked much like this Ruby, we all-" 

"Was her name Summer Rose?!" I say, dropping what I'm doing. Everyone else does as well. 

"Do you know her?" 

"She's supposed to be dead!" 

"Oh..." 

"And she's Ruby's mom!" 

"Oh! We must get her back." Reha said, standing up. 

"Yah, no shit! Cat, how far can your comms reach?!"

"Far enough. Given how close the Covenant like to hang out near their targets, we can reach out." 

"How about a prisoner exchange?" 

"Trading the Covey back for this chick, I like it." Emile said. 

"For me." 

"What?!" Everyone shouts, including Reha. 

"Why not? They'll take the deal." 

"That's what we're talking about! They'll take it without a second thought!" Jorge screams. 

"I can handle myself." 

"I can't wait for Carter to get back, maybe then you'll listen to reason." Cat said, scoffing.