12.

It's rewind time

3rd pov

As Tony gets pushed to the ground, Natasha stirs and runs away while the Captain is watching the darker man in the trench coat. Then out of nowhere, Sam and Rhodey come in and Sam drags Tony away and Rhodey engages with the Captain. Back and forth, one of them punches and the other blocks until the Captain grabs a knife from his thigh and cuts Rhodes arm and he goes down, cradling it. The Captain gives a cocky smile and kicks the colonel in the head and effectively knocking him out, calls out to the soldier in Russian, and when he does not answer he leaves.

Turns out Natasha used her widow bites to knock out the Winter Soldier. Shocking, I know.

 So once again Bucky wakes up in a room with a straight jacket with an IV to sedate him. The heart monitors go ballistic as he panics and thinks about Steve still being controlled by Hydra. This is all my fault, two are worse than either of us so why did I go to see him? Because you love him, idiot, Bucky thinks to himself then Natasha comes in.

"The trail went cold about 30 miles but we don't know which direction" 

"How? He's on foot, no one could run that long without giving out to exhaustion" Bucky says

"Well, he stole a quinjet and put it in stealth mode before we had a chance to track him. And it didn't help that Stark was unconscious during the whole thing." Natasha huffs then looks at Bucky.

"Well, the sedation isn't working but can you lay off the straight jacket? I'll take a cell but anything other than this, please. Scratch that, the sedation is working a bit."

Natasha thinks that over for a bit before Bucky decided to rip it off on his own. Flexing and stretching his cramped muscles felt amazing, and Natasha? She was stunned by what she saw. (Who wouldn't?) Bucky turns around and smirks at Natasha and walks towards her and fully exposing his abs.

What are you doing!? Steve is the one for you!  Bucky gives Natasha a quick kiss and was planning on leaving but Natasha pulled him down again and kissed again but longer and this has Bucky enough time to insert the sedation IV into her and leaves.

-fast forward noise-

"So you're telling me that Natasha Romanoff, Shield agent and Avenger, badass and ice block got seduced by a hobo from the forties?" 

"Seems about right," Clint says

"See his abs and you'll melt, not like Steve either," Natasha speaks from her corner of the room.

Tony raises an eyebrow and Natasha rolls her eyes "Bucky's rugged, Steve's Mr. Perfect. Bucky has a sick metal arm, Steve has a shield. Both have awesome abs."

Tony clicks his tong and shakes his head in disappointment, but if it was real he would be fucked. 2 soldiers from the '40s and both are very different from each other, and, yea.

"Well, give me two weeks and I'll find him. How's Barnes recovery going?" Tony asks, to which Natasha responds "well enough, it's Steve he's worried about, since the whole killing Sharon thing."

"Keep me updated." And with that, Tony limps out of the room.

-2 weeks later-

Much didn't happen in the two weeks but once Tony got the clear to walk, there was an attack. Some villains decided to take a school bus full of kids as hostages and plant bombs near them, Tony was in charge of leading the team and boy did it go wrong. And in the end, 8 kids had died from Tony's carelessness. 

1 mission in particular is great because Bucky saw what Tony was trying to do so he fixed it and effectively solving the mission. Another one where Tony has an idea of a surprise attack on a Hydra base but Bucky goes against it and risks his free will and gets captured on purpose only to fool them.

Hydra base after Hydra base goes by and none contains their beloved Captain and fewer team members go on these missions. Some members fall into a deep state of depression and one of which was Tony and Bucky but they still went on the missions.

-

"I get why you're asking but I can't carry the shield"

"All I'm asking is to use the shield and wear a red, white, and blue suit! Is that so hard to ask?" Fury asks.

"If I do this, people will think that I am replacing Steve and I can't either way because I require Steve's blessing." Bucky states

Fury rolls his eyes "Stop, just carry the shield and I'll stop asking"

"Well find Steve and then we can have Captain America back!" Bucky growls

"I don't know if you've noticed but it's been 4 months since Rogers got captured and we're no closer to finding him than we were 4 months ago. So shut the hell up and carry the shield!"

With a set jaw and cold eyes, Bucky looks at Fury dead in the eye and mutters something " Find him harder since some of us are close to giving up completely" and leaves.

Fury is left dumbfounded, some of his team is, suicidal? Now that he thinks of it Stark had been far from his usual self and spends most of his time in his lab probably drinking himself half to death. Natasha spends most of her time in the gym and Bucky has deep circles around his eyes and wears a hoodie most of the time, so maybe he should try giving them days off?

Suddenly a noise rips Fury out of his thoughts and he sees a building being bombed in NYC in men in black with an octopus on the arm. Many are screaming then from the fog, a man with a red and black uniform arises with a red and black shield and wearing a black mask. In an instant people recognize its's Captain America and begin to cheer until the man grabs a grenade launcher and aims it at a building. Turning around the man walks to a cameraman and kills it.

News reporters are surrounding the men then the Avengers arrive.