--Forth--

Shapeshifter watched softly as the ghost in their arms slowly crawled to the ground, sighing softly in exhaustion and relief as his hands trembled and brushed past the purple grasses, almost as if in question of the reality to it all. 

"My friend," They nudged Moonjumper softly, watching his slight flinch as he glanced up, "Aren't you forgetting, there's someone waiting for you?"

It was quick then. The phantom's head jolted to the side, catching your eye only for a moment before the two sprinted into each other's arms. Shapeshifter simply chuckled at the murmurs from you, gauging the high emotion and relief that came from seeing such a beloved spirit again. Charming, truly.

"Ah, love," Their eyes squinted in a smile, leaning back upon their large legs, "How sweet of a feeling."

"And how would you know that?" Chester quipped, though his gaze immediately fell back to the blue ghost in the middle of the clearing.

"Hahah," Shapeshifter's shoulders bobbed softly, "This old immortal knows a thing or two, you know."

--0--

The edge of the woods met your gaze as you stared out, the sun shining ahead, begging for you to leave home and forget this mess. Moonjumper floated just slightly ahead, hand wrapped firmly around your own. You never thought you'd actually miss feeling frigid at times like this, but now that the ghost was back, it just felt normal.

You swore, you never wanted to come back here. What once had been a safe spot for stargazing had become one of the worst few weeks of your life. Though, as your head turned back towards the dark woods and your eye caught two figures, you remembered who you had met during this journey. Was it really fair to say it was all bad?

You slowly let go of Moonjumper's hand as you turned, earning a confused humming sound from the ghost. With a smile you pat his shoulder gently.

"Just,"  You sighed, "Give me a minute, alright?"

In understanding, Moon gently clasped his hands, allowing you to jog back towards the forest, stopping just a foot or so away from the two figures that had been watching you go.

"Ah, just as I told you," Shapeshifter said, an obvious smugness to their tone, "(Y/N) would not leave without a proper goodbye."

"Gh shut up--" Chester huffed, "Kid!"

You were barely able to catch the doll in your arms when he scrambled at you, leaping up and crushing your shoulders in a hug. The shudder in his body gave away the fact the subconite was holding in a sob. Your throat tightened a little as you made eye contact with Shapeshifter across the clearing.

"...You're never coming back," His sad voice broke, "You said so yourself back there! It's...too dangerous now."

Your heart stung a little. Snatcher was aware more people had been sneaking around, and the risk didn't seem worth it anymore. But on the other hand...

"...Y-You're the only friend I've got out here, kid."

"What about Shapeshifter?" You tried to swallow the guilty lump in your throat.

"Ah," Their voice was quiet, dodging eye contact as they gazed back into the woods, "...I have to return to the desert at some point, I cannot live here forever...I was getting ready to leave myself."

It almost seemed like the creature wanted to say more, but ceased. 

"I don't want you to go..." Chester had gone quiet, clinging to the back of your jacket tightly.

"Chester..." You rubbed your eyes with your free arm, "I don't think it's safe in there."

"Then-- Then we'll meet here! Right outside the forest," The doll argued, pushing up to look you in the eye, "We'll meet here."

You chuckled a little, lowering him to the ground slowly, "Won't your boss get mad?"

"He's always mad."

The telltale flap of Moonjumper's coat sounded behind you, signaling that the ghost had come to quell his nervous curiosity of the scene going on. Your hand met his gently as you responded.

"...Alright," You smiled, "For my buddy."

With a snort, the subconite blew a raspberry, rubbing at the glowing spot that you assumed to be his face, "Well that's  settled--- Don't you DARE tell anyone I was 'crying'. I don't cry."

"...Sure."

Your gaze returned to the towering creature that was the Shapeshifter, watching their eyes focus towards deeper in the woods. Solemn, almost. 

"Shapes?" You questioned softly, gripping their arm, watching the creature jolt a little in surprise at the contact, "What's wrong?"

"Hm," Their voice was almost a whisper on the wind, "Nothing you need to worry about, my dear friend."

 You caught a few of their eyes darting to your hands, fingers tangled with Moon's softly.

...It clicked a little, then.

"Who are you thinking about?" You pressed, pulling their arm softly to face you, "Someone hurt you?"

"Oh, no," They chuckled faintly, "No, I am not hurt...This old heart simply is poor at...understanding things. It is better to leave than face rejection."

"...Shapes," you nudged gently, "If you love someone...Aren't they worth fighting for?"

"..Of course," Their tone was a little annoyed, "Do not take me for a fool like that."

"...Then fight for them," You encourage with a smile.

Shapeshifter's ear twitched in silent appreciation, ruffling your hair affectionately before gently pushing you off, "Yes, yes (Y/N) I will keep your cheesy soap opera quotes in mind. Now, don't you have a home to rest in, my dear? And a very tired ghost at your side?"

You laughed as their eyes squinted up playfully towards you, smacking their paws away from your form.

"I know I know, I couldn't just leave you guys," you snorted, slowly backing away from the clearing, "...Thank you. For everything."

"Of course," Shapeshifter dipped their head, "Of course of course. Anything for a friend."

"Hey!" Chester called out as you slowly begun to ascend the short hill ahead, "Don't forget! Visit me sometime!"

"I won't forget!" You called back, waving at the two until they disappeared from sight.

...And quiet overtook as the sun begun to set once more. All the stress and worry melted away slowly as Moonjumper begun to hum a tune. A familiar tune. He usually did this when cleaning or relaxing by your side in bed. 

You'd have to ask if this tune had any lyrics once the ghost had his notepad back...

(OOG. I'm thinking...1-2 more chapters then main story is done. We need our fluff, our CC and Hat kid seeing mj, and an epilogue eh? Then I'll take requests on mini oneshots involving any of the cast here.)