---Protection---

You assumed it to be morning. Frankly, it was impossible to tell with the never ending night, you were simply going off of Shapeshifter's guess on the time. 

"We'll be out by noon," They stated, "Then you all can regroup and figure things out."

"Are you sure there's nothing you can do?" You questioned.

"...I can look into such. I cannot make any promises."

You sighed, expecting the answer, yet it still stung a bit. You were so close, so close to getting the ghost back. Now it felt like there was zero answer to the conundrum. 

"Don't look so glum!" The being chirped, "No use in sulking!"

With a halfhearted chuckle, you pushed their face away from yours, "It's kind of hard not to sulk right now, you know."

"It will be fine," Shapeshifter ruffled your hair lightly, "Your friend the Shapeshifter is here!"

Offering a smile as the large creature bounded away from you, lifting Hat Kid high above their head with a laugh, you let your shoulders relax a bit. You'd find a way to get Moonjumper back. Shapeshifter knew about The Horizon, and held powerful magic. Hat Kid was an alien with all sorts of schemes and plans in her ship. CC was a stubborn cat who wouldn't give up on a friend...And you. You were hellbent to get him back as well. It'd work out. It had to.

Listening to the whooping and hollering of the child and her seeming new best friend ahead, you couldn't help but notice Chester's lack of remarks the entire morning. 

"What's up Chester?" You muttered, nudging the doll with your hand.

"I'm just a little worked up is all. I'm going to get in a lot of trouble for being gone so long, you know?" The subconite snorted a little, slowly picking up his pace to match yours.

You had forgotten that part from back when you had first met the little guy. A pang of guilt stung you slightly, making you grimace.

"You'll be alright, right?"

"Hah! Yeah. Don't let him know I said this, but, he's kind of become a bit of a softy ever since the alien kid came around," Chester snickered, "I'll just get chewed out a bit, nothing more."

"Better than chewed up, huh?"

"Pfth...You and your bad jokes, kid."

"Hey, that's me, bad joke (Y/N)!"

The both of you giggled for a moment, quickly picking up speed to catch up with the rest of your small group. Something about 'not letting those slowpokes get too far ahead' or whatever it was Chester had said.

As the leaves crunched underfoot though, you become increasing aware of a strangeness in the woods the closer you got to where you had entered. An odd, tense feeling that rustled through the branches and sent a shiver into your very soul. Had anyone else noticed the feeling?

Were you just going insane?

Opting to shrug off the odd feeling as you just being sick of Subcon, you rushed just a bit further to try and match the incredibly long strides Shapeshifter was taking. For such a large and odd shaped creature, they moved rather elegantly you had to admit.

"Noon, huh?" You chuckled, dreaming of a hot shower to cleanse the muck, snow sludge, and leaves off your body.

"That's right," They stated, two of their many eyes making contact with you. How they were able to look at so many things without getting dizzy or sick made your own head spin, "You must be eager to leave, yes?"

"I wouldn't say eager," You sighed, "But I know I need to get out and just...at least shower y'know?"

They snickered, picking a rather crunchy leaf from your head, "I can see that."