CHAPTER 10 : We're Going To Make It

"Wake up kid," Came a voice hovering above me. I slowly and hesitantly drew my eyes open. An action my mind protested, as it tried to keep a grasp onto the dream that was already gone. It was gone like smoke, and I was back; back to the real world. I laid on the ground, Adrian still in my arms. A smile curved onto my lips as I pulled him closer. It wasn't just a dream, he was alive. He was here, with me. His eyes were still shut, he was still dreaming. And I'd let him dream; dream of beautiful places that I was going to make sure we went. 

     I wanted to go to every happy place that Adrian had ever known. I wanted to bask in it's light as Adrian held onto me. I wanted a reality that could sustain happiness. I wanted it so bad, so very bad. 

     My smile fell when I turned my head. Dax was standing over us. His blood red eyes scanned the two of us before he grinned and I grimaced. A smile looked odd on his cynical face. It didn't belong. 

     "Morning, lovebirds," he said, and Adrian stirred awake. He slowly drew his eyes open. He looked at me first, his gaze dopey, his mind still half asleep. But he suddenly became alert as his eyes landed on Dax. They widened as he flinched, scooting back, his back pressing firmly against the wall. He was scared of him. 

     "What are you doing here?" I asked, glaring at the demon. He laughed at me display of courage as I moved in front on Adrian. 

     "Dinner is ready," he said. "Geun wants you up there," he informed me. I scowled up at him. 

      "I don't want to go," I told him, interlocking my fingers with Adrian's. "I'm staying here," I said and again he burst into laughter. The sound was cold and devoid of any real mirth. It sent a chill down my spine as it washed over us. My frown deepened. 

      "You don't have a choice," he told me before he roughly gripped my arm. I jerked it away before stumbling to my feet. Adrian rose as well. He did it slower, his body still obviously in pain. I tried to keep him up by letting him lean on me. 

      "I said I'm not going anywhere," I told him, my voice scarily even as my vision flashed red. 

      Dax showed off his fang as he snarled, he took a step towards me, his claws elongated and ready to tear into me. "Like I said; you have no choice," he said right before he lunged for me. 

      "No!" I screamed as Dax gripped my arm again, his claws digging into my flesh. It burned but it hurt more when he ripped me away from Adrian. "Let go of me," I demanded, my hands glowing red. 

      "Marcus," Adrian said taking a step towards us. He used his magic to push Dax away from me. The action left him weak, and he crumbled to the ground. I rushed over to his side, pulling me into my arms. 

      "It's okay, I'm fine," he assured me as he sat up. He brushed my cheeks with his fingers, before forcing his way back to his feet. "And I'll be fine. You should go," he told me and I stared at him with wide eyes. 

      "You want me to go?" I asked, my voice shaky and nervous. 

      "I want you not to get hurt. He won't stop until you go with him," Adrain explained. I wanted to protest but he was right. I wouldn't be in any danger as long as I went willing. Ashon still needed me, he wouldn't risk letting me get hurt. 

      "What about you?" I asked as the thought arose. I didn't want to leave him knowing that they could hurt him. I couldn't leave without any reassurance that I'd see him again. I couldn't leave, not after I'd just found him. 

      "Like I said, I'll be fine," he said, giving me a small sad smile. He was lying. I could see it in his eyes. The way the glint dimmed for a second, the way his left eye twitched, and the way that he suddenly dropped his gaze.