CHAPTER 21 : Point Of No Return

By the time the school day was over it had started raining. Fat drops of water splashed onto the ground. I watched it coming down from the school entrance, where I stood warily looking out to the parking lot. Adrian waved to me and I bit my bottom lip before stepping out into the rain. Immediately I regretted it; the rain was cold as it pelted against my body, soaking my clothes. I splashed through the filthy puddles that had gathered on the pavement as I made my way to Adrian and his bike.

     "Why did I agree to this?" I asked, my teeth chattering in my mouth.

     "Because you love me and you love riding on my bike," Adrian said with a cheeky grin.

      I rolled my eyes, water droplets dripping from my hair and onto my cheeks. "I hate the rain," I whined with a pout. He chuckled handing me the helmet. I slipped it over my soggy hair before I hopped onto the bike. I wrapped my arms around him, my hands bunched in the material of his jacket.

       "Are you ready?" He asked, I nodded.

       "Yeah, let's go."

       Adrian gunned the bike once we were out of the parking lot. The wind whiplashed against my face, hitting it like projectiles; it stung. It was cold, unbearably so. I pressed my face against Adrian's back as I closed my eyes. Today hadn't gone the way I had expected it to, but it hadn't gone badly—not completely at least.

     After my mini panic attack—that was what I had decided to call it—I wasn't alright. I'd hung out in the bathroom until the period was over then I'd gone to my locker to get my books for my next class. And since Paige's locker was right next to mine, I got interrogated; she asked a ton of questions. I had assured her that I was fine. It was a lie. But as the day went on it became less of a lie.

     During lunch I sat down with Adrian and Abby; I was glad to see that Adrian was better, he appeared less nervous. When I sat next to him he'd smiled at me, and I could see it in his eyes; there was a calm glimmer in them. And when I asked about his day he'd said other than a couple of weird looks from some of the kids, it wasn't so bad.

    There was also a new addition to our table. Jack. He sat down with us. It was... awkward. I got the feeling both Abby and Adrian hadn't completely forgiven him for betraying me, even though I had explained everything to them. Jack had only been trying to protect me. I'd decided to give them time, eventually they would get to know Jack and see what I saw in him, a good friend.

      It was around the end of lunch that Abby had told me she had to go over to Alon after school, so she couldn't give me a ride home. Adrian had immediately volunteered to give me a ride, I'd smiled at him and nodded. I didn't think it'd be pouring hard like this. 

      Adrian glided slowly to a stop; the rumble of the bike subsided, to a growl first then a purr, then silence. With shaky legs I swung off the bike and landed on wet gravel with a soft thud. It had stopped raining but it was still cold and misty. I wrapped my hands around my body as I shivered; I was chilled to the bone.

      "I'm so cold," I told him my teeth chattering.

      "Let's head inside," he suggested and I led him to the house. We walked up the stone steps and stopped in front of two massive wooden doors. The foyer was empty as we stepped onto the marble floor. Our footsteps resounded through the room, muffled by the mud we were tracking in. I scrunched my nose as I looked down at the stained floor—Harrod was going to have my head for this.

      And speak of the devil. "Master Marcus, you're home," Harrod said as he stepped into the foyer. He regarded me then his eyes shifted to Adrian. His expression remained placid as I nodded.