CHAPTER 18 : When The Truth Hunts You Down

I landed on wooden flooring. In front of me were floor–to–ceiling windows, they looked over a sandy beach and a vast ocean. The moon shone above the waving waters. The room was lit by warm yellow lights, I turned to the mahogany coffee table, in front of a L shaped couch. The apartment was empty as far as I could tell. Or maybe Malek was just asleep, it was still early in the morning.

     I'd tried to sleep, but after another hour of staring at the ceiling I'd decided to pay Malek a visit. I needed answers and he was the only one who had them.

     I was about to head up to the second floor when I heard the doorknob jingle. I froze in place as I stared at it.

      Two men walked into the apartment, their lips interlocked. I recognized the first man, with his snow white hair, pale skin and slim figure; it was Malek. He had his arms wrapped around the neck of the other man. The stranger had shaggy chestnut hair—it kind of reminded me of Jack's—his skin was tanned and his figure was lean with slight hints of muscle. His arms were under Malek's shirt, groping him.

      My eyes widened, my cheeks tinting red before I cleared my throat. Alarmed the two men jumped from each other as if they'd been burnt. Malek's eyes shot to me first and he glared at me, the other man choked on air.

      "Who are you?" The man asked.

      "Who are you?" I asked back.

      "Jax, Marcus,"—Malek gestured to me—"Marcus, Jax,"—he gestured to the green eyed brunet. "Now that we're all acquainted, mind telling me what you're doing in my apartment." He was glaring at me.

      I looked warily at Jax before turning my gaze to Malek. "We need to talk," I told him crossing my arms over my chest.

      "Can't this wait to the morning," he groaned as he removed his coat. "It's four am for pete's sake and I'm quite sure it's way past your bedtime."

      "Malek, it's important."

      "I was kinda busy, look—"

      "Malek, it's okay." It was Jax who spoke. He looked at me with a friendly enough smile before turning to Malek. "I don't want to get in the way, the kid seems pretty determined to talk to you. I'll see you tomorrow," he said to Malek, placing a kiss on his cheek before moving for the door.

      "Bye," Malek said, his tone showing hints of disappointment. The door clinked shut behind Jax and Malek turned to me and said sarcastically, "Thanks for that," gesturing for to the door.

      I rolled my eyes. "I need an explanation," I told him, "for everything."

      "This definitely could have waited for the morning," he grumbled.

      I frowned. "I'm serious. Malek it's time you tell me the truth."

      He sighed heavily before walking over to the kitchen. "And I guess I owe it to you," he said as he crouched down in front of one of the cabinets beneath the counter. He came back up with a bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

     "Would like a glass?" He asked. I shook my head and he shrugged.

     "You might want to sit down, this might take a while," he said. I hopped onto one of the stools by the counter. "You need to understand before I tell you this story, that I'm on your side I've always been on your side. I made a lot of mistakes in my life, ones that have cost me so much, they cost me my brothers.

     "I know what they've done to you is horrible and I won't try making excuses for them. They've taken so much from you. But I need you to understand them. They didn't start off as monsters. They were good once. My brothers and I were created with one purpose, to protect the mortal world." He told me as he poured out a glass of whiskey for himself. He took a sip of it sighing heavily before he continued.