CHAPTER 33 : With You Til The End

Alon was on fire. Smoke billowed out of the buildings that were lit with raging ember flames. The buildings crumbled, rubble and debris falling like hail onto the cracked pavement. I looked around, my eyes wide as they landed on body after body after body. The street was litters with corpses, ripped to shreds, burnt to a crisp or frozen in terror. Blood stained the street, pooling around bodies, streaked across walls and splattered everywhere.

    I shook my head vigorously. What had happened to Maz's office? How was I here? A loud shriek resounded through the air, piercing through me like a cold shiver, I flinched as I backed away, my hands trembling and my bottom lip quivering. A low growl, followed by a screeching sound, like nails on a chalkboard sounded from the pile of rubble behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck rose and my heart plummeted.

    The air reeked of sulfur, it drowned out the bitter aroma of the smoke and putrid odor of burning flesh. Demons, they were here. I looked frantically around myself but other than the dead, I was alone.

    Suddenly, "Run," a voice whispered to me. It was feminine and familiar, like the ghost of a forgotten dream. "Marcus, run." And I did.

"Marcus," Kai called snapping me out of my stupor. I blinked repeatedly before staring into her golden eyes. Where was I? I looked around myself, at the arm chair I was sitting in, at the the bookshelf behind myself and at Mr North and Maz standing behind Kai staring at me in concern. "Are you okay?" She asked leaning closer to me.

    I stared at her again for a second before I nodded. "I'm fine," I told her. But was I fine? What had just happened? Was that a dream? But I wasn't asleep. A vision?

    She looked apprehensive as she bit into her bottom lip. "Are you sure? Your eyes..." Her voice trailed as she turned to Mr North. He stepped closer to me. "Your eyes turned completely white and you kinda froze."

    "What?" I asked as my eyes widened.

    "Marcus has anything like this ever happened before?" Mr North asked and I shook my head. He and Kai shared a look before he turned back to me. "Maybe you and Kai should go back to the safe house," he said to me. "Have Harriet check on him," he said to Kai. She nodded.

   "I'm really sorry for this," he said to Maz and the two older man turned from us.

   "Are you good to teleport us back to West Chapel?" Kai asked and I nodded before rising to my feet. Instantly my vision blurred, spots appearing before me and I staggered. I was seconds away from falling on my face when Kai caught me. "I'll take this as a no."

     "I'm sorry," I said and she shook her head.

    "Don't apologize," she said with a small smile.

     "Maybe I could be of assistance," Maz said and we both turned to him. "If you can't teleport, I'm sure my son will be able to take you there."

      "You don't have to—"

     "No, don't," he put his hand up. "It's really no trouble. I think that it's good that he goes with you. He can stand as a representative for the pack while I stay here and gather he other packs."

      Kai nodded and then Maz walked us out of his office. He led us to the foyer; I leant against Kai as I walked, to keep from toppling over. "I'll be a moment," Maz said before he disappeared through an arched entrance. He returned a few minutes later with Kane, the almond skinned boy with golden eyes. "Take them to West Chapel," Maz instructed him and he nodded.

    "Follow me," Kane said to Kai and me and we did. We followed him to the garage. Inside were several cars, ranging from vintage models to the latest fast car. I gapped in awe at the collection. "My dad has an obsession with cars," Kane said noticing my expression.