The Unexpected Happens

Miley's POV: 

  I was running away from the place all my nightmares occurred. I could no longer endure to live through another day with the guilt of almost killing our pack. I was always embarrassed and humiliated because of it.  It hung over my head like death does to you. I ran through my room packing my items. I was disrupted by an unexpected knock on my door. My brothers were there judging by their distinct scent. 

"Shit" I muttered under my breath low enough for them to not be able to hear. I threw the bag under the bed and opened the door with a sheepish grin on my face.

"Well, what do you guys need?" My brothers gave me a stern look. 

"Where do you think you're going?" They asked

"Away." I spat.

"Not by yourself your not," They said

"Who's going to stop me?" I questioned.

"We will." They said.

    I rolled my eyes. (Whatever) I thought. Today is adoption day which means no one goes anywhere without an adult.

"Johnny, please get packed we might get lucky today," I said with a smile on my face. The two of us walked downstairs. Alex was right behind us. Two security guards came and stood in front of us. I tripped over myself and Johnny caught me and wrapped his arm around me for support. I giggled as he pulled me into his chest. I pulled back and linked arms with my brothers. We walked over to the table where it said Onyx, our last name, we sat there and waited. Johnny had a beat going so I picked up on it. After a little while, Alex joined in too. Johnny kept the beat by tapping his foot and tapping the table in the same rhythm. I was humming a song I wrote when we were little... called, "The Peaceful Night." Alex was the base drum. It goes like this... "In the peaceful nights you sleep... my nightmares come to you... We will be free someday... to be on our way... to our new home... together. I miss the days... we could run in from school and tell mom and dad what we did... oh how I miss those days. A peaceful night is when you get out of here and go to your own bed." Alex and Johnny joined in. "Oh, how we miss those days. But we may find a new hoooommmmeeeee somedaaaayyy!" We finished the song and I started crying. Johnny pulled me into his chest. We sat there doing this for about thirty minutes. Alex caught a whiff of something and stopped. We looked at him. He stood up and stood in front of us protectively. A man and a woman walked up to us and sat down in front of us. "I'm Sam. This is my wife Emily. We would like to adopt the three of you." Sam said with a smile.

    I then understood what put my brothers into a defensive state. I sniffed the air and smelled the shapeshifter on the man who had adopted us. Well, we don't have to worry about exposure more like what they want us for. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best but it won't always happen. I willingly followed the couple, unlike my brothers who were still keeping a safe distance.

   We got to the car and I saw a young man in the back seat. I fell behind my brothers and followed them. Alex took my bag and put it in the trunk of the car. I got really dizzy. So dizzy I fell and landed on my butt.  Johnny and Alex helped me up and Johnny wrapped his strong arm around me supportively. He got in the car and pulled me onto his lap. Alex was on the other side of the boy. I must have been paler than usual because I had my head on Johnny's lap and my feet on Alex's lap. "Sam, pull over. Something's not right about Miley. I can feel it." The boy in the middle said.

    "Already ahead of you, Riley," Sam said as he pulled over.

"Riley, support my sister's feet. I need to get to the trunk to get her box." Alex said. He rummaged through my bag. "This is why I like to pack her things." Sam was out and behind the car. "Sis, I can't find it. Where did you put it?

    "In my purse," I mumbled. Alex dug around in there and sighed in relief. He found it.

    "Johnny, you know what to do," Alex said as Riley slid back into the middle, and Alex slid in. The only thing I felt was a pricked on the finger.

    "Alex, a blood sugar monitor. Hurry!" Johnny said but it sounded like a murmur to me.

   "Alex, what is it?" Johnny asked in concern. He was quiet for a minute and then suddenly he wasn't. "Emily, do you have anything to raise Miley's blood sugar. At all?" He asked.

    "Yes, I do. I have gum, mints, skittles, candy, and a soda," Emily said.

  "Gum, mint, and soda, will do wonders for now." Johnny's voice was distant. Johnny placed the drink to my mouth. "Drink. Miley. Drink." Alex said. Obediently, I did. I wasn't passing out anymore. I was coming too. I could see Johnny and Alex hovering over my head. I felt my color come back to me as well. Johnny helped me up into a sitting position and placed his hand on my back and Alex handed me the gum and the mint. I tried to unwrap them but I was still too weak. I sighed in frustration. Riley took them out of my hands And unwrapped them. He handed me the gum first and I placed it into my mouth. "You have diabetes?" He asked. I nodded and chewed my gum.

I turned to look at him fully and his eyes met mine. Right then I knew he was the one. Suddenly it wasn't the earth holding me down it was him. I would do anything and be anything he needs. He's the one my heart desires.

My Editor and I wrote this together. I hope you enjoy it. We went through a lot to get this done. I don't think it would've happened if it weren't for her help. Comments, Questions, Ideas, or Concerns follow us and we will answer them if we can.