Chapter 1:

"No fair

You really know how to make me cry

When you gimme those ocean eyes

I'm scared

I've never fallen from quite this high

Falling into your ocean eyes

Those ocean eyes"

-Billie Eilish

16 Years Ago..

KATNISS

It all happens in a blur. First the boy on the kitchen table, then the door bursting open to reveal my father, pale as a sheet. There's hoards of people behind him as they run from something, all as pale and as scared as each other. Then I hear it, an explosion. A burning smell invades the household, making us all gag. I run to my mother, who is still busy getting the tracker jacker stings out of the blonde. She places me on a nearby countertop as my father quickly locks the door shut.

'Mr. Everdeen?' The boy's mother asks, 'Are you okay?'

My mother turns to face him as he crumples into a ball on the floor in front of us, tears streaming down his face as he lets out sob after sob. He tries to speak, but all that comes out are garbled sentences.

'Take your time,' My mother says distractedly as she places some sort of cream on where the stingers once were, 'What happened?'

'I-I couldn't save them.. G-gone..' He manages to choke out cryptic sentences.

'Save who?' My mother asks him.

'M-My friends.. E-explosion.. M-mine!' He says loudly, as if the scenario was replaying in his head.

The boy's father goes to him and helps him to a nearby chair so he can calm down. Silence ensues as we listen to the heartbreaking sobs that are coming from my father. I look up at the boy, who is beginning to stir, as he groggily looks around in confusion.

'M-Mom..?' He asks shakily and slowly, 'w-where am I..?'

'In Twelve, honey. You're all better.' She says distractedly as she goes over to calm my father down.

Everyone leaves him, apart from me, to go comfort him. I look at the boy and tilt my head when I see the tears in his eyes. He catches me looking and gives me a small smile before wiping away the tears.

'Hey there..' he says quietly, 'I'm Peeta.'

I wave shyly at him as he chuckles at me quietly. The look in his eye is gentle and soft, but changes when he sees his family with mine to a sort of sadness only seen when one's family ignores them. I tilt my head, confused as to why he was being ignored.

'They always do that,' he says when he notices me, 'I don't know why. It just seems that they care about others more than they care about their own son..'

I hide behind my hair shyly when he continues to look at me, as if he's half expecting me to say something.

'You don't talk much, do you..?' Peeta asks me, 'Shy?'

I peek out at him from under my fringe and nod quietly, smiling softly as he chuckles at me. I usually am not shy, but strangers make me very shy. I'm only 1, but I like to talk. New people make me nervous. Swinging my legs, I notice my mother coming back to us with Peeta's mother and father.