Chapter 16:

PEETA

I stared at Katniss' sleeping body for a moment. I gently brushed my hand along her waist already picturing her swelling with our child. I longed to go lay in bed with her, but I knew the Bakery wouldn't run itself. I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before raising from the bed. I heard her move in her sleep. I turned around and saw her snuggle against my pillow. She sighs heavily in her sleep. A small smile spreads on my face. Then I quietly closed the door to my, no wait, our, bedroom. I walk down the stairs and into the Bakery. I go up front and change the sign to, 'Open'. I return to the kitchen and start kneading some dough for a batch of specially ordered lemon poppy seed cookies. After I get the cookies on a baking sheet I hear the bell above the door ring. I go up front and say,

"Hello, how may I help you?" When I look up I see the postman. He smiled, he was used to my asking him.

"Nothing today. Here's your mail, son." I nodded and took the envelopes.

"Thank you, see you soon." I told him as he left, he nodded. I looked through the mail, there were the usual bills, a letter from my brother and another letter with thicker paper. I opened the envelope and saw in fancy calligraphy 'To Mr. Peeta Mellark'. I unfolded the paper and read the letter.

'Dear Mr. Peeta Mellark,

You have been awarded Baker of the year from District 12, you are being asked to represent district twelve in the annual bake off of panem. It will take place in the capital this year. The prize is not only a job at the prestigious bakery of Panem but 5,000 dollars as well. The trip will be all expense paid, the opportunity is yours to pursue. Please reply to this letter within 7 days of it being received. The bake-off takes place in a month.

Yours truly,

Plutarch Heavensbee'

Baker of the year? I thought. I had no idea this competition even existed. The prize was such an enticing thing to think of, it was almost frightening. With the job and the money, I could take Katniss away from District 12, away from her problems. No one would see our relationship as such an anomaly if we don't say it. All her worries and fears, I could take them away. I was pulled from my thoughts when the bell once again rang.

"Hello, how may I help you?" I told the woman who stood behind the counter.

"Hello, I have the order of lemon poppy seed cookies, I hope it's not too late," she glanced at the clock, so did I. It was 4:30, later than I thought. "But I will need another two dozens." I nodded.

"So in total, you want five dozen lemon poppy seed cookies?" The woman nodded. "Okay just pay 35 dollars tomorrow when you come to pick them up." She nodded and left. I went up front and put up the closed sign.

I went into the kitchen and began Katniss' favorite lamb stew hoping I can have her in good spirits when I tell her about the bake off. The smells of it, even its process, was amazing. No wonder Katniss loves it so much. When the stew is done I walk upstairs to wake Katniss.

"Katniss," I said sitting on the bed next to her. She didn't reply, I pulled her into my arms and hugged her tightly. She hummed slightly but didn't wake. "Katniss," I repeated, she just snuggled into my chest, telling me she was waking up but didn't like it. I pulled her chin up and kissed her, her soft lips didn't react at first but once they began moving against mine I pulled away.

"Peeeeetaa," she moaned. I smiled and hugged her tightly.

"Hmm?" I asked. She opened her eyes, the silvery grey irises looked into my eyes. She pulled my head to hers, she kissed me, more like pecked my lips a couple times.