Chapter 17:

KATNISS

I watched as the train pulled away from the station, picking up speed as I moved along the tracks. I knew he would probably be nervous for the competition but still excited, especially with the prize being so much money. If he won we would be able to get outstanding baking supplies and equipment to replace the ones that were kind of old. When the train finally disappeared from my view, I figured that I should probably head back to the bakery, as there would probably be customers wanting bread and other baked goods. Soon enough, I was back at the bakery and could smell the lingering smell of fresh baked bread that always seemed to accompany it. I opened the door and put on a clean apron, putting some pastries on display and cleaning up a bit. The silence was already unbearable without Peeta here with me. I knew it was going to be a long couple of days, but at least I would be able to see him a little on the TV. I looked down and saw Lupus wagging his tail at me, which he did whenever he wanted to go on a walk. I sighed yet got his leash off of a hook on the wall.

"C'mon Lupus let's go." I said to him.

I walked out of the bakery, feeling a slight breeze as I walked him. I was feeling kind of tired so I decided to just go on a short walk with him. Once I was back at the bakery I once again put the closed sign up, and decided to rest for a little, as I had been doing a lot of stuff. I closed my eyes as I lay in my bed, thankful for the moment of peacefulness. I woke up around 4:00pm. I headed back out to the bakery. A few more customers came before I started closing up. I heated up some food for dinner, but wasn't that hungry, and by the time I sat down, I didn't feel like eating at all. I gave a little piece of chicken to Lupus, then put my food back in the fridge for if I was hungry later. I was still kind of tired, despite the nap I had taken earlier, so I went to bed early.

I woke up and immediately felt nauseous. I groaned and got out of bed thinking it was probably just allergies or something. I went down to the bakery, still not feeling good. I shook my head to distract myself and not think about it. I tied my apron around my waist, getting out the ingredients for a simple cake. I had just put the flower on the counter when I threw up. I stood there shocked before coming to my senses. Shit. I had just puked all over the bakery floor. That's not exactly the happy image you want to give your customers when they enter. I quickly tried to clean it up, hoping that it didn't smell like, well like I had just barfed. What the hell was wrong with me? I thought. First being tired, even after resting, and then this! It's almost like I was.... No. I'm not going to finish that thought. I couldn't be. Right? I wasn't pregnant. God I said I wasn't going to think that. And I didn't. I tried to busy myself with work, even though I was still nauseous and not exactly feeling great. Ugh. I probably just had some stupid stomach bug. But I wasn't going to let that stop me from a perfect day to work. No I would just work through the nausea and stuff. Because I'm fine. A customer came in soon, and I forced a smile on my face.

"Hello!" I said with a fake cheery voice. "How can I help you? Are you looking for anything specific?" I asked.

"Yes, please." She replied. "I'm looking for a cake for my daughter's birthday. She's turning 9 today, and I thought I would get her a cake."

I smiled showing her the section of birthday cakes, pointing out a few that would work. She eventually picked a light yellow cake with white butterflies iced on in a spiral, going up the cake with the words 'Happy Birthday!' iced on in a swirly pattern.

"Thank you for your help." She said, and left closing the door behind her.

I turned around, leaning on the counter for support, as I fought the urge to throw up again, deciding that maybe I should lie down, at least for a few minutes. I got up after about ten minutes, forcing myself to get better, as if I could make myself feel magically better by just willing it to happen. As expected, it didn't work, which left me still feeling like shit.