Chapter 23:

KATNISS

It had been at least an hour since the whole dinner fiasco. Johanna was probably still upstairs in the kitchen or family room. Peeta had fallen asleep while next to me, still holding his arms around me. I had just been lying there thinking about everything that had happened. How everyone had left me. Gale. My father. Prim. My heart nearly shattered just thinking about her. I couldn't dwell on that right now though. I needed to clear my head.

I gently removed Peeta's arms from me, and he turned over on his side, still asleep, probably exhausted.

I walked up the stairs to find Annie and Finnick sitting at the table, her head leaning on his shoulder as they talked.

"Oh Katniss," Annie said when she realized I was there. "How are you?" She questioned.

I shrugged. "Good,"

"Hey Finnick, I'm gonna go hang out with Katniss for a while," She said to him.

"Okay," He said, standing up. "I'm going to go try to talk to Johanna again. I'm sorry about her, Katniss,"

I nodded. He left.

Annie led me into the empty family room, and I settled onto a worn down but comfortable couch.

"So," She said. "How are you really?" She questioned, looking at me warmly. She gave me the same feeling I got from Finnick. Like I could tell her- trust her- with anything.

"I," I started, then stopped taking a deep breath. "I'm lonely, I feel like well, what if what Jo said was true?" I breathed, sure I believed Peeta was never leaving me but still, everyone else was gone, everyone else had said the same thing. Annie looked at me, her eyes shone, not with pity but with understanding.

"Katniss, you're not alone, you have Peeta. You will have your babies. Now you have me and Finnick, even if you feel like you're drowning from loneliness you have to remember the people who stayed, who take away that loneliness," Annie said.

I took a deep breath, I knew Peeta was there. His presence was undeniably warm and safe, he was there for me. That didn't take away the loss I felt from not having the people I used to by my side.

Annie must have seen this in my eyes because she continued. "Katniss, I know what it's like. I felt alone even when I had Finnick by my side. It is a hard time but remembering that there are still people rooting for you, following you in your life, things will get better," Annie told me.

I looked into her eyes and she looked so honest and true, I knew she deserved to know everything.

"Annie, my sister died about a month ago, and I lost one of my babies less than a week before that. My best friend, he left me too, the day I found out about my baby he left me. He was the one that everyone says killed my baby, I thought. But I still think that I killed the baby. I was rejected by my family for months up until a couple weeks ago. I still manage to lose the one I cared for the most. I never had too many people there for me. I was there for more people then there was there for me. I've lost a lot of people recently, Annie," I let out. I tried to gather my thoughts and feelings some more. Annie didn't interrupt, just let me think. "Peeta... he came so soon and so solid. He was almost too good to be true and I don't trust myself to care about someone again. But, it's too late. I already do. I care about him so much. I'm in denial, I guess. Now, I have two babies I will care for and have to worry about losing. Telling myself that I'm alone is easier than worrying about the people who are there," I poured out, and laid them on a platter for her to see. Anime didn't look at me with confession. With disgust or even anger. She kept a strong look on her face. A kind, gentle, understanding.