Chapter 11:

KATNISS

Peeta scared me.

I don't know what has happened to him. Just yesterday we had eaten lunch together and he had listened to me with soft eyes as I worried over her friend. He had reassured me, given me a hug and comforted me. Told her to go visit Madge and talk, apologize. It helped me a lot. I felt much better, and I gave him a kiss on his cheek before I left for the day.

But when I came to the bakery this morning, he didn't greet me. I put on the apron by the counter, waiting on the bakers daily greeting but he never came. Already then I felt like something was wrong, worried almost. So I went to the backroom, where I saw him bake. And he baked. Hard . Aggressive. With hard, fast motions that only felt more wicked when I heard mumbling noises, realizing that he talked to himself.

It didn't make the situation much better that all around the room trays of loaves and bread were spread around him. Even on the floor, there were trays that couldn't fit on the table. I realized then that he had been baking the whole night because I had never seen these much pastries in my whole life. It should be funny, this was basically a Bakery Wonderland. But it was the whole opposite.

"Mr. Mellark..." I whispered, afraid to startle him, but also just afraid . He didn't look sane when he turned around. His eyes were dark and hair messy. I even felt a shiver run down my body when he smiled. That same smile that he gave me weeks ago. Like I was just a customer, the ones I myself gave to people by the counter. Just fake and forced. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, Katniss just fine." He doesn't seem fine but I don't dare to say anything so I just nodded before he turned around and kept baking.

The day goes by normally and I forget it during the morning rush. It's too much stress and there wasn't time for worries. It isn't until lunchtime that I remember Peeta because he finally comes out of his hiding place in the backroom to close for the hour they ate lunch.

It's quiet and tense. If I had a knife, I could've cut the air. I swallow when Peeta slowly walks to the door to put the sign on. Walking with almost painful and tired steps that echoed against the walls. I just followed his steps with my eyes behind the counter as I sat on my chair and. Waiting. I don't even know what I am waiting for and that bothers me the most.

"Katniss." He turns to face me and like ice running down my body, I shiver the second time today. His eyes held something... sinister. I has seen that look on his face before, like he's a hawk diving down for its prey, ready to just-

"Yes?" I say, confident in my voice.

"Are you alright?" I raise both my eyebrows, a startled noise leaving my throat.

"M-me?" I ask, pointing a finger at myself. He nods, walking casually towards me, leaning on the counter with both his hands on the edge.

"Yes, you." Peeta gives me a smile and like magic, that sinister-scary look I saw just now disappeared. I didn't answer for a long time, just gawking at Peeta, questioning my sight. Didn't he just...?

"Mr. Mellark, I'm fine." I answered back after a few seconds, almost offended. "It's you who seems... off today."

"I'm fine. Just fine."

"I don't believe you." Like a grip around my throat, I suddenly can't breathe and it's when I realized what I said. To my boss. But before my face turns into a tomato, I glances up at Peeta who sighs like he has been defeated.

"Let's talk about this somewhere else." I nod.

Peeta takes me to the living room where I had woken up from sleeping after that awful night. Unlike the kitchen, it felt cold the moment we stepped in. Dead. Hasn't been used for a long time, I noticed by the smooth layer of dust laying over the room. The flower patterned carpets didn't make it any happier, just more depressing. It felt like this room was just for show by the way the furnishings were placed so perfectly and untouched.