Chapter 8

I'm in the classroom right now and guess what? Si Gene lang naman ang kasalukuyan naming professor, English 3: Business Correspondence. Actually madali naman na 'to kung hindi sya ang professor.

"Miss Ranielle" Gene called my name pulling me out of my train of thoughts.

"Can you please read your homework?" He ordered.

I hate it pag inuutusan nya ko ng ganito tapos wala naman akong magawa kasi professor ko sya. Anyways, I just mentally rolled my eyes.

"Okay Ge—Sir." I uttered while scratching the back of neck.

I searched the paragraph quickly in my notes.

We were asked to read a novel and to quote some of our favorite lines. Gusto ko 'yung mga ganitong assignments kaya meron ako.

I stood up lousily and starts reading.

"My biggest fear was that things would go on forever and there would never be any end. The idea of forever terrified me, even if we were in heaven and everything was great. Surely, it would have to come to an end at some point." It was a quotation from the book entitled Last days of California a novel written by Mary Miller.

I've read the paragraph for him. Pero napansin ko lang. Every time I looked at Gene he suddenly turn his eyes off of me. Para bang iniiwasan nya na mag eye contact kami. That's weird.

"Thank you Miss Gonzales." He said as he cleared his throat. I've never felt this awkwardness between us before. What happened? Dahil ba 'to sa nasabi ko last time? Para lang sa 'baka gabihin ka' affected na sya ng ganyan? 

"Sir, excuse me." A random classmate of mine raised her hand.

"Yes miss...?" Gene asked trying to catch her name. His eyes narrowed at her.

"Jen Vidanes po." The girl said from her seat. 

We all turned our heads on Jen. Who the f*ck is she?

"Okay, Miss Jen. What is it?" Gene looked directly at Jen.

"What is your relationship with Ranielle?" Jen asked. I looked at her wide-eyed. It literally made my jaw drop. Obvious din na nagulat si Gene, causing the whole class to start murmuring.

What the hell? Anong trip nito? I never paid much attention to my classmates before kaya wala akong masyadong friends dahil wala naman talaga akong pakialam sa kanila. So, anong trip nito?

"Well, that's not related with our subject." Gene said chuckling trying to change the subject.

Para bang biglang nagkaroon ng weights sa dibdib ko. Ang bigat ng pakiramdam ko. Am I guilty? I'm not doing anything wrong nor does he.

"At least make things clear." Jen insisted looking confidently at Gene.

Gene scratched his head. I knew he was annoyed this very moment. 

He sighed deeply.

"She's my friend's younger sister. We knew each other before." Gene explained turning his attention to everyone.

Tiningnan ko agad si Jen.

Are you satisfied? Mukha kang expired na lollipop. If you knew that.

"That's it?" Jen asked suspciously. The class went silent. It seems that they're all interested about it.

"Sir, let's proceed with our lessons. Sayang ang bayad namin for this subject." Bab said loudly.

Everybody laughed quietly.