Part 2 - The Sorting

The ride was shorter than I expected it to be.
I don't know if it was because of the conversation I had with Hermione or because it actually was short, but considering that it took 7 hours for us to get there, I would bet on the first one.

"Let's wait for everyone else to get out, it can get really crowded," Hermione suggested.

I agreed. I sat in my seat, looking outside the window, letting my new reality settle in. That was going to be it for the next couple of years, and I couldn't believe it...

It was strange, it felt like a place I've visited so many times, but I've never actually been to.
I couldn't put it into words.

"Do you like it?" Hermione asked me, pulling me out of my thoughts, "I know that the school is still far away, but you still get the idea."

"I do, I really do," I answered, staring at the small castle on a hill.

When the hallway got empty, we took our cats and walked outside. An empty carriage was waiting for us, so we got on with a few other students and the carriage started moving.

"You can get the bed next to mine," Hermione put her hand on my arm as she talked to me, "The girl that slept there moved out of England a couple of months ago! Can you believe that?"

"That sounds wonderful! I'd love to!"

Everything seemed to be falling into place. Jacqueline was right - I had nothing to worry about. It was the best wizarding school after all, and after talking to Hermione, I felt like I actually belonged there.

"I forgot to ask you! Do you have a boyfriend?" Hermione asked as we started going up a hill, "I meant to, but I just kept blabbering on about Ron and lost my train of thought, I'm sorry!"

"Don't worry, I loved listening about you two," I told her honestly, "I do, actually. But he's back in France, and I don't think I'll be able to see him until winter break."

It did not get any easier after saying that. But I did realize that I haven't heard from him all day, even though I hoped that he would send me an owl before I left for Hogwarts.

Charles was nice, really nice, and I never thought I would be able to leave him for so long. Sadly, I didn't have a choice, and I had to keep telling myself that Hogwarts was a great opportunity for me, and I could still see him whenever I was free.

I also knew how much he loved me, and I knew that he wouldn't do anything stupid while I was here. Plus, even if he did, I knew that my friends would tell me right away.

But he wouldn't.

"Don't worry, time just flies here! How long have you two been together?"

"Two years," I smiled, but talking about him made me just miss him even more.

"Wow, that's amazing!" Hermione exclaimed, "But I'll stop asking you about him for now, I can only imagine how hard it must be for you..."

It was almost like she read my mind.
I thought about how she would fit right into my friend group back in France, but then I had to stop myself. This was my new life. I could think about France during winter or summer, but not while I was at Hogwarts.

And I started to become okay with that.

***

We finally arrived at the school. It was even bigger than I expected it to be, and the atmosphere was even more wonderful than I could have ever imagined.
Everyone was running around, making sure that their luggage was taken care of, greeting old friends, running after their pets.