Part 24 - Before the Camping Trip

"Harry?" I called out, walking up to him.

He was sitting with his knees pulled up to his chest, his head resting on them. His hair was messy from the wind, his fingers red from the cold air.

"Hey," he said once he saw me, surprise clear in his eyes.

"Do you mind if I join you?" I asked and sat down next to him once he nodded.

"Well, this seems awfully familiar," I tied to lighten the mood, but only a faint smile appeared on his face. Then I changed my tone, "I'm sorry, didn't mean to be insensitive..."

"No, it's all fun, I'm just in a sour mood," he replied, turning his head towards me, but still resting it on his knees.

"I..." I cleared my throat, looking away, "I heard about you and Ginny."

He didn't say anything.

"I can't help but feel bad for what happened..."

"Don't do that for yourself."

"But if it wasn't for me-"

"If it wasn't for you, the relationship would still have had its problems. Maybe I wouldn't be kissing someone, but that still doesn't mean that everything would've been perfect between me and Ginny."

He had a point. I knew he did.

Only I didn't know how not to feel bad about the whole thing.

"I feel better now," he said, breaking the silence, as if he knew I needed a bit of reassuring, "It wasn't easy, and it won't be easy for a while, but it's really freeing."

"I'm glad," I replied.

I understood where his emotions came from a little bit - as soon as I broke up with Charles and the feeling of heartbreak started fading away, I could all of a sudden taste the freedom I didn't know I was missing.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, pushing his glasses up his nose.

"Me? I'm fine," I replied, unsure of it myself.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I crossed my legs, "There are just so many things happening, it's hard not to lose track of yourself."

"Yeah, I understand."

Out of everyone, he probably did know that feeling the best.

"I'm scared about the camping situation with Snape," I chuckled, "That's the main thing on my mind right now."

"Oh, really? Why?"

"I don't know," I consciously lied, "It's not very settling knowing that we will be camping in a forest full of all sorts of creatures..."

Well, at least it wasn't a complete lie.
It just wasn't the whole truth.

"Don't worry, I've only heard the best things about it from past generations."

"Is that so? So no one is going to tear my insides out?"

"Except for Malfoy, I hope."

"Oh shut up Harry," I laughed and hit his arm.

"I'm being serious," he replied, but still left out a chuckle.

"Come on Harry, not every single Slytherin is a terrible person," I said after calming down.

"That's true, but every Malfoy is. And every part of Malfoy's gang."

I rolled my eyes playfully, but I don't think he noticed.